The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Tech
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

help to identify cable battery(+) to starter

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1day Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: help to identify cable battery(+) to starter
    Posted: 27 Apr 17 at 16:13
I'm not sure if the cable on my van is standard, or, has been changed during the coachbuilding process of the motorhome body / fitting (my van was a chassis cab with coach built motorhome section from new in 1979).    I've only paid this some attention as ai stripped out some very old / unknown source wiring to a split charger for the leisure battery last week (dont need it, have solar)

Anyway, I need to replace the this cable, it's 38 years old, and looks like it's been failing / arc'ing or burning through for quite some time.   

I think the cable has it's also been shortened a few times at the starter motor end, and, this means that it now sits VERY close the exhaust manifold, and, is definitely a fire risk (new insulation tape that is on the cable end is charring from heat of exhaust).

The cable has a light grey outer sleeve, and is very large.  

It runs from the positive terminal on the engine battery (behind passenger seat) to the starter motor - via hole in rear bulkhead panel behind seat, over top of gearbox casing, then into engine compartment and runs along the body work underneath the main air intake tube.

I've been searching on the web for part numbers (and parts), but, not found anything that looks the same, or, is described the same.

I'm pretty sure this a special cable with heat resistant properties, it runs so close to the exhaust manifold with little direct air cooling.

Does any body know what the cable is, or, what part number to search for?

this is the cable on my van

this is the closest I can find
4281971228Fwiring set for starter1950MM

but it doesn't look like mine

thanks in advance
Jamie

Edited by 1day - 27 Apr 17 at 16:48
LTCamper89 View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 17 at 21:01
From memory, mine is just standard PVC sheathed, though it might have an extra layer where it goes through the bulkheads etc.

The one pictured is not crimped, which is what I would expect from OEM, but screw terminal.

I would get a local car parts shop to make one up for you (not Halfrauds), if you are not happy doing it yourself. Give yourself a little extra length so you can route it more comfortably, tie it out of the way.
1989 LT28 2.4D    Saviour of 6Music, well one of them. Now playing http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/bbc_6music

VW LT Camper not Cramper

....at least the roof is not rusting away....
1day View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1day Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 17 at 17:01
thank you.

found out why its too short now, its been pushed back into bulkhead during repairs to head gasket!

ill be replacing it anyway as its very old
 Post Reply Post Reply