The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Tech help
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Help please JX over heating issues

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gindeluxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help please JX over heating issues
    Posted: 21 Jul 17 at 00:03
Hi Guys I'm in the shit. I bought a 1990 high top Reimo 1.6 TD, two weeks ago from Stockport
All fine ish bit smokey when cold, but clears and just passed MOT. Took ages to get to M6 to get back to Somerset.
I got to Nantwich on the motorway cruising at 60 (although the speedo was intermittent on off) an the red temp light started flashing, slowed down and put the heater on, the temp gauge was just past the middle (edge of the red light)
I pulled into services checked everything and apart from the rad return not being as hot as I'd expect all appeared ok.
An AA guys pulled up while I was checking and as I thought the engine didn't appear hot, drove on monitoring it, stopped just shy of Birmingham and although it was hissing a tad, no water loss an temp gauge same, now I'm suspecting the thermostat being stuck as it was sat a year unused. I got back to Bristol an had to stop as the temp climbed high, I'd lost most of the water in the expansion tank. Let it cool right down. Filled it and drove back gauge climbing on hills to about 2/3 up then dropping, the mileage shows 98k, mot history backs this.
I've just changed the thermostat to 80 degree one, drained it down and checked the rad fan and checked the thermostat switch (as the rad fan did not come on at all)
Bled it and run it up, light stats flashing within minutes of starting up, Grrrr, I ran the bus for over an hour today Erving it hard when warm, heater initially on to bleed, then off, the rad fan kicked in after a period of reving for awhile, but the gauge still would not go above half way, once just past the red light, when the 1 st stage fan kicked in, engine doesn't smell hot, no loss of coolant no drips or leaks, sounds and runs really well for a dirty diesel.
I'm flummoxed
What sensor controls what, on the middle of the head theres a plastic coolant T/branch has two sensors red oxide colours they look to be the same held in with clips, one has no wires to it, there are two near brown and blue what do these do, the light definitely did not come on until I'd been driving for 2/3 hours. I know the expansion tank low level sensor will switch the warning light on, that's connected, I really hope the head gasket hasn't gone, oil is clean
No signs of froth, water doesn't look oily.
PLEASE HELP. LOOSING IT.
cheers mark
randolph57 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randolph57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 17 at 06:01
From memory which admittedly isnt great the 'T'piece which holds the temperature senders-one sender is to the guage and is obviously just indication whilst the second controls the operation of the auxiliary water pump (if yours is still fitted)which keeps coolant circulating for a period after shut down.
I thought the thermostat was a 80 degree one as standardfor the jx? however it is very likely you have air in the system(air locked) as these are notorious for causing the symptoms that you have-The flashing lights are indicative of this as they are indicating a drop in water level not a high temp.
Do a search on here as there is a step by step method for success on Baxters thread.
Once rid of all air ensure dalek cap is operating correctly tank is FULL and expansion tank behind flap at correct level.
Then I'm sure all will be ok Smile

http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/bleeding-the-cooling-system_topic29710.html
ob1 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

FOUND IT, IT WAS HIDING!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ob1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 17 at 07:19
I've never bought a van with a JX that wasn't knackered. They don't get looked after properly, they get driven too hard and they at some point have a coolant leak which leads to failed head gaskets and or worse.

Your symptoms to me sound exactly like a HG. It's a relatively easy job on a JX and will give you a chance to refresh the CH and replace timing and auxiliary belts.

You can also check the bottom end is not scored.

Personally I wouldn't waste time worrying and hoping and simple bit the bullet.

Edited by ob1 - 21 Jul 17 at 07:20
booted View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote booted Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 17 at 15:51
the light is  also a low coolant level warning I would test that its functioning correctly Its common for the sender to be faulty especially if its not run with antifreeze for what they cost I would stick a new sender in
gindeluxe View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gindeluxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 17 at 16:55
Thanks guys, yes bled it as Owens instruction, got a trip next week so test it as it over exmoor. Will try replacing the low level indicator. Not a case of biting the bullet, doing the head gasket neither phases me or is beyond my ability, time and space is however, no local garages are interested
Cheers mark
ob1 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

FOUND IT, IT WAS HIDING!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ob1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 17 at 21:06
Originally posted by gindeluxe gindeluxe wrote:

Thanks guys, yes bled it as Owens instruction, got a trip next week so test it as it over exmoor. Will try replacing the low level indicator. Not a case of biting the bullet, doing the head gasket neither phases me or is beyond my ability, time and space is however, no local garages are interested
Cheers mark

Bit defensive. I was not implying you are not capable of changing the head gasket. I'm purely saying that IMO you'll need too...

I'll be interested in how the test over Exmoor goes
rowlesy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
murdered the murderwagen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rowlesy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 17 at 21:11
the low level sensor tends to get gunked up if the antifreeze hasnt been replaced with the g12 stuff asn so doesnt tell you when its running low. the initial flashing on the ignition will still function tho luring you into a false sense of security! might be worth whipping it out and giving it a clean....
UberFukz broke another!       sucky sucky five dollah!

always out numbered never out gunned!    RWS welding 07846 380 467 (worcs)
gindeluxe View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gindeluxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 17 at 21:47
Hi ob1 I wasn't being defensive bud, just saying I can do it at a push, I'm a tad sore if I'm honest as it was not cheap, an I bought an earlier 1.9 dg 1983 pop top an the head gasket went on that an the roof is rotten. So I thought bollox i ll buy a decent practical van to have this shit again.
Yes had the expansion tank low level sensor out its spotless, cleaned the thermo sensor switch as well in the rad.
Yes the led flashes as it should on start up.
It's really nice an clean in the engine bay.
 Post Reply Post Reply