The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Tech help
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HELP!! Engine toast!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote copernicus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HELP!! Engine toast!
    Posted: 29 May 19 at 13:22
Hey guys, I need your help / opinion.  I bought a 1988 VW T3 1.6TD last year.  It came with a refurbished engine.  The head was new and so was the head gasket.   However it was constantly blowing coolant hoses and overheating; due to no coolant in system.  Took a trip to France and engine overheated, luckily at end of trip, and blowing up the expansion tank behind number plate.  Went to garage where head gasket was replaced.  This is when the problems really began with improper repairs.
Trying to figure out why it keeps over pressuring the cooling system?  The coolant hoses stay rock hard for hours after turned off.  Coolant gets pushed out the system somewhere, just don't know where and there are bubbles in the expansion tank.

If JX is cooked, does anyone know a good mechanic who is able to put an AAZ or TDI in? 

I am south of London but will travel a bit for good mechanic.   Appreciate any help!
Jorge Camacho
Timjburrows View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timjburrows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 19 at 16:37
could be the block split,warped head,not replacing head bolts,head gasket or cooling system not being bled properly,or leaking,header tank cap faulty,sniff test will tell you if its combustion gas causing the water to leave the system,looking underneath will tell you if it leaks,club 80/90 has a very good wiki section on bleeding the system,as air expands when hot it could be why the water is leaving the system,I'd fill it with water,bleed it,run it,check for leaks when it up to temperature,check for bubbles in header tank then go for a little drive and see if it looses water,if it does get it sniff tested,this will tell you if the water loss is due to combustion,other thing to check is the water pump and thermostat work correctly 
copernicus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote copernicus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 19 at 05:50
Thank you. I really appreciate your information.  You wouldn't happen to be a mechanic or do you know of one that might be able to help.  I actually ended up with a lot of these problems after being serviced by mechanic.  He did head gasket and cylinder repair and put back together with no combustion test and timing was off when given back.  Had to take back because it was off and then he had someone come in and complete combustion test and correct the timing that was off.  Also never fixed bubbles or loss of water issue ( which was one of the main reasons he had it ).  So really hoping to find someone who can fix or advise if need a conversion to TDI or AAZ.
Jorge Camacho
Timjburrows View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timjburrows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 19 at 09:12
sorry I don't  know anyone to solve your problem,I do my vehicles myself I'd make sure the system is bled properly as it costs nothing first.im sure someone on here could recommend a reliable mechanic or garage in your area
 Post Reply Post Reply