The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Help central locking not working cant put fuel in!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Help central locking not working cant put fuel in!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fastfilli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help central locking not working cant put fuel in!
    Posted: 14 Nov 10 at 17:40
My central locking has stopped working on my 58 reg sportline?

But I cant open the passanger door manualy to put fuel in

Help
energysolutions View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote energysolutions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 10 at 17:44
I `d guess the infamous problematic joint below the drivers seat, a search will (easily) reveal what you require
!!Never Eat Yellow Snow!!
fastfilli View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fastfilli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 10 at 17:56
Found that link!

With that problem. Does it mean that you can not open the passanger and side load door ?
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote energysolutions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 10 at 18:00
It depends how bad the joint has become as to which doors it affects and how it affects them ie not opening/hazard lights stay on permanently

Its an easy check/repair (remove the seat - quite easy, and you`ll know straight away) but that would be my first move.......

fastfilli View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fastfilli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 10 at 18:05
Lights flash like normal but does not open.

Cant get my head round why I cant open the passanger door manualy ?

As it will not open from the inside which is dumb as I need fuel real bad now
Albal View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 10 at 18:09
If you really are stuck and not electrically/mechanically minded/impatient, you can hack saw off the little 'spigot' that stops the fuel flap opening when the passenger door is closed. They are replaceable and can be bought from VW UK.
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote energysolutions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 10 at 18:12
It wont open from the inside/with the key as the deadlocks are engaged (using the key wont open them) and only the regular locks will open with this action

The splice below the seat is a simple joint (3 wires) and it sounds like one of the wires (the one serving the passenger side locks) is not correctly connected, most likely due to corrosion in the splice below the seat

T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 10 at 18:21

The little rubber bit that keeps the fuel flap closed on mine has long since dropped off.  So I can open the fuel flap without needing to open the passenger door.  (Don't try this with anything but the pressure of your fingernails) but if you are desperate I reckon you be able to open the flap without too much damage if you are stuck by just pulling it open because only the rubber bit keeps it shut.

It might bend the metal tag a bit but you should be able to bend it back ok.  Your risk though ...Wink 
2004 2.5 174
fastfilli View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fastfilli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 10 at 18:59
I can work on my van no problem

I'm just pissed that after only 2 years I need to

Even more pissed that I need work on it, so I can put fuel in
fastfilli View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fastfilli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 10 at 19:02
No bending or cutting the flap for me !

My van is my baby and I would rather poke wasps up my ass that cause any damage to my van.

Work will have to wait untill my van is fixed
Albal View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 10 at 19:09
When cutting you wont 'damage' anything if you are careful enough. You are literally just cutting the little spigot, no paint work needs to be damaged, no metal needs to be bent.

And as I said you can get a new one from VW dead cheap. Thumbs Up
fastfilli View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fastfilli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 10 at 19:21
I can see the wire under the seat easy enugh, so I will have a look tomorow in the light.

I am presuming my van is still covered by manufacture's warranty 100 mile or 3 years ?
Albal View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Albal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 10 at 19:36
Yeah, if it is covered by warranty this is not your problem! Take it to the dealers and get them to sort it out free of charge.
Rebuild View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebuild Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 10 at 00:16
Steve
2004 T5 2.5 TDI
fastfilli View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fastfilli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 10 at 20:16
Well I went to the dealer today and they said I should not touch the van as it would void warranty. It was still covered by VW breakdown service as all new vans come with three years cover.

So I called them out and I told the breakdown man what I knew about the wire under the seat, he seemed sceptical but took the seat out never the less.

He was a top bloke he had a splity camper himself so he was as keen as me to look after my van

I could feel the joint with my fingers, so he pulled the tape off around the wires, only about a inch to reveal the offending joint.

The wire had totally corroded and snapped.

Obviously when they solder this joint at VW they do not clean the flux off of the joint and the flux eats the wire over time, thats why its green its the flux!

The man said he will log it on the VW system as a defect on the vans so they know for the future.

Well done guys for your help it made the fix much easier.

Edited by fastfilli - 15 Nov 10 at 20:18
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote energysolutions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 10 at 20:19
Originally posted by energysolutions energysolutions wrote:

The splice below the seat is a simple joint (3 wires) and it sounds like one of the wires (the one serving the passenger side locks) is not correctly connected, most likely due to corrosion in the splice below the seat

Feel free to forward a "donation" to my Paypal accountLOL

blackmax View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blackmax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 10 at 11:27
Hi Guys, please could you give me some advice. Am I being stupid... I've got a 55 plate 2.5. I have all the same symptoms as everyone else. I've taken my seat out, and checked my loom, I can't see any join in the red/blue wire that comes from my main tan coloured plug, and I get a good 12v there when checking with a multimeter. BUT, the red/blue wire that goes to the big black plug in the middle has only 3v going to it. I presume this should be 12V too..??

The sparkys at work think the black box might be damp. I have no alarm or central locking.

And it's driving me mad..!!
The Loon View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Loon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 10 at 12:19

Sounds like your convenience module is shagged.

Justified Ancient of Mu Mu.
blackmax View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blackmax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 10 at 13:07
Hmm that would be just my luck. Does this control the Alarm too, because this has been firing off at random intervals recently.
The Loon View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Loon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 10 at 14:19
I believe so.Ouch
Justified Ancient of Mu Mu.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>