The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT1 chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Heating

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PORTOVECHIOS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Heating
    Posted: 20 Oct 14 at 00:55
Hi

I have a 2.4 petrol and I'd like to stick some heating in my LT28 1988

What are my options? cost is a factor as i don't go far but would like to know it's there.

LT28 1988 Camper 2400 Petrol

verbatim View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verbatim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 14 at 10:41
Are you using it as a camper van? If so, are you requiring electric, gas or both?

http://www.youtube.com/user/nonterraqueous/videos?view=0 - my youtube channel!
PORTOVECHIOS View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PORTOVECHIOS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 14 at 11:01
Camper van but unlikely to have hookup so 12v and gas

verbatim View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verbatim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 14 at 12:51
Can't go wrong with parabolic dish we use one in ours with a 10l gaz cyl - just don't knock it over!
AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 14 at 14:03
How about a jenny and variable heat fan heater.
You don't need more than 1kw, and can charge 12v battery's at the same time.
Easy enough to build a sound deadening box to keep the noise down, and a fan to keep it cool.
LT28 1979 2.0 Pampas Nevada Camper LPG 93K, 1980 T3 A/C Camper 98K,1994 RRC 3.9 LPG 120k , 1998 Audi A6 Est 2.5 V6 diesel 127k

verbatim View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verbatim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 14 at 15:47
I got one of the Gennys from jtf it's noisy but quietens down when it's being 'pulled' - well worth the investment and so cheap 😀
driveby View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote driveby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 14 at 00:02
I've looked into this a little.

Had the van since aug and plan to try a couple of trips in dec/jan so try it out. The first question is - how's the insulation, do you have any ? If not you're burning something and loosing a lot.

Second is, like sleeping bags, how many seasons do you want to use it, and how hardy are you ?

The LT I have has carpets on the walls, over ply but afaik little else inbetween.

It picks up some warmth from the fridge - there's a combustion vent to outside (*important* !) but the coils don't have external vents, so the heat from keeping the fridge cool goes into the internal space. Up till mid oct which was especially warm - a light sleeping bag was fine for me.

Right now, I only plan to hit campsites with electric over this winter. So I got a £21, 700W oil heater from asda. It's about 30cm high. And £17 for a morphy richards electric blanket.

Between the two (I need to test in 0-5 degrees weather) I think it'll be OK if not exactly toasty.

For off site, you have a choice of gas or diesel. From what I've read, a woodburner - even a small one - would put out too much heat and lack any chance to turn it down.

John Wickersham's books have 3-4 pages on the heating systems available. Basically Webasto (diesel) Truma and Alde propane + use 12v fans to warm air or small radiator circuits.

Blaenavon http://www.caravanbreakers.net recently had an Alde unit for about £350, around halfish of new price. Keep an eye on their site and similar.

They recover caravans and strip them for parts. For gas, you'd want a gas fitter and for diesel heating you'd be hooking into the tank or engine feed, which to me seems tricky (I am not a mechanic)

There's an article here worth a look : http://www.practicalmotorhome.com/advice/30452-heating-your-motorhome
driveby View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote driveby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 14 at 00:05
Re-read, you have petrol. So maybe eberspacher. This guy was flogging used one for about £250
http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=392157
driveby View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote driveby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 14 at 00:09
Here's the eberspacher aitronic heater brochure
Water heating is often (but not always) separate

http://www.eberspacher.com/products/fuel-operated-heaters/air-heating/airtronic-d2.html?&eID=download&file=fileadmin/data/countrysites/EB_UK/pdf_files/info_pdf_ebuk/heating_pdf_ebuk/heater_range_commercial_uk_22387.pdf
ringonotts View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ringonotts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 14 at 20:32
Eberspacher, webasto or propex are the way to go - but its not particularly cheap. You can pick second hand ones up (oldiebutgoodie is selling a load on 8090).

You buy the heater, get it fitted and then realise you need to buy a load of batteries to keep it running.

However, as i use my van all year round, it (my eberspacher) was a fantastic investment and i wouldnt be without it. I've been known to switch it on in august when it got a bit nippy...

Ringo
Huge big LT Florida - its slow but its a Westie!
jason k View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
twinklerims

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jason k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 14 at 21:36
Yup eber webasto or propex!

Fantastic bits of kit
Bcs shallowest surf award winner 2006
camperjam 2011 chug and tug team member
aberdare. south wales
newest member of karmann korner
no longer the only moderator to manage to ban himself

Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PORTOVECHIOS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 14 at 21:37
I have a few draughts to sort yet but I thing propex gas for me, battery should be ok for a few hours at a time

jason k View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
twinklerims

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jason k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 14 at 21:59
I could run propex all night for weekend off a 110 leisure battery easily!
aberdare. south wales

jason k View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
twinklerims

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jason k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 14 at 22:02
I still run a truma combi boiler and heater, lights TV etc off a 110 amp leisure in my current Lt and it lasts a weekend easily!
aberdare. south wales

Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PORTOVECHIOS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 14 at 23:01
Brand new 110ah so should be good to go

As I say the draughts need sorting and the curtains are being made now but I reckon I can install the Propex in a morning with the help of my Gas fitter mate

Post Reply Post Reply