The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > The Brickyard > The Brickie's Arms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hardknott Pass on holiday

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickandsej Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hardknott Pass on holiday
    Posted: 26 Aug 16 at 20:23
Took the DG up and over the Hardknott pass this week! Had a few days away, apart from using a bit of oil the van did brilliantly all week, did 850 miles all in and was purring like a cat all the way. Even had to do a hill start near the top because a sheep just wouldn't get out of the road... On the hairpins at the top had just a smidge of wheel spin as the balance changed. Even though it's got new oil in I think the oil did suffer as I had a flickering of the light on idle once I got to the top and let it rest. Coming down the other side in damp conditions was even scarier as there was the real danger of locking up but managed to use the gears to help out.
So a 2ton+ van with a 1.9 Wbx can do it!
Also popped into Brickwerks as I was passing, friendly service despite being flat out on Monday morning.
I am sooooooo chuffed with my T3 and glad I ditched the T4 to get it :-)
Off to Cornwall to Mum's next week so hopefully see a few more vans, sadly only saw a handful up north!
1990 Holdsworth pop top 1.9DG
OLD HARRY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OLD HARRY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 16 at 09:52
I did it last year, from West to East in my 1989 Westy Cal 1.6td in damp conditions. A bit hairy with wheelspin on some of the corners and lucky not to meet anyone on their way down, so made it but would not recommend it to anyone with a van that not 100%
OLD HARRY
mickandsej View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickandsej Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 16 at 10:36
Yep I should have mentioned I went west-east too! Those hairpins about 1/4 mile from the top were where it span up a little, I took it gingerly as I like my transmission.......

Edited by mickandsej - 27 Aug 16 at 11:35
1990 Holdsworth pop top 1.9DG
 Post Reply Post Reply