The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Tech help
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Golf GTI MK2 Dash

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote surfingmonkey1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Golf GTI MK2 Dash
    Posted: 16 Aug 10 at 09:24
I've heard that you can replace a standard dash in a T3 with a Golf GTI MK2 dash.

Does anyone know if there are any mods needed or is it just a like for like replacement?

Cheers n' gone

SM1
monsho View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monsho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 10 at 09:42
Need a lot of mods I would have thought - can't think I've ever seen one...
bayvelle View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bayvelle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 10 at 09:46
Surely a T3 dash is wider than a Mk2 golf one?
surfingmonkey1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote surfingmonkey1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 10 at 09:48
Just to clarify, it's the pod with the speedo and clock/rev counter dials in - not the entire dash.

Sorry for the confusion
chris7ian View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris7ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 10 at 10:31
I've seen the entire dash from a late Audi in a Lhd T3 (and  a TT dash in a Corrado ;) )... looked awesome!
Antything can be 'made' to fit, but I doubt very much any of it is a 'straight swap'
johnb View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 10 at 12:58
Doesn't the T3 use the same pos as a Mk 1 Golf - or at least one very similar?
My van is better known in these parts than I am
monsho View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monsho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 10 at 13:56
it looks similar, but don't think they're the same, sure the golf stuff is shorter and doesn't have the space for the indication lights etc in the middle?  Speedo unit is very similar in size and style but don't think its a replacement...
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote surfingmonkey1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 10 at 13:58
I've since learnt that you can replace them but the calibration of the speedo is way out!
Titus A Duxass View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Titus A Duxass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 10 at 14:16
Bollocks to it all!!
51°24′N 12°52′E
chris7ian View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris7ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 10 at 14:45
Originally posted by surfingmonkey1 surfingmonkey1 wrote:

I've since learnt that you can replace them but the calibration of the speedo is way out!

You can have the speedo cable fitted with a gear to correct the reading from speedy cables
chris7ian View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris7ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 10 at 14:47
Originally posted by Titus A Duxass Titus A Duxass wrote:

Here's a Passat clockset and an Audi A4 in T3:
http://www.t3-infos.de/images/Passat-Cockpit.jpg
http://www.t3-infos.de/images/A4-Cockpit_Raimund.jpg

Wow! How cool do those look!! :)
Stephen Greece View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stephen Greece Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 10 at 14:58
Good stuff. This thread should continue, been thinking the same since i am on my third dash binnacle and intend to fit a TDI. Would that passat binnacle connect to 1Z electrics, looks like a snug fit!
More time spent under it than in it....
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote surfingmonkey1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 10 at 15:04
Swweeeeeet!!!
monsho View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monsho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 10 at 16:55
Have thought about this quite a bit in the past...

Several that I've seen look a bit 'half done' to be honest, getting the clocks etc to fit nicely is a pretty epic job, usually there's gaps and brackets all visible.

Some of the Porsche ones look ace - basically look like they're meant to be there - you can buy the binnacle's ready for the clocks from Germany.

If I ever go to an electronic set up on my TDI (which I'm considering) I'll keep all the clocks from the car and try make fit possibly, but I imagine its well beyond my limited abilities Big smile
TransPorscher View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TransPorscher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 10 at 00:18
Look on the 3rd page of my T3 Tuning links for 'Tdi Instrument Upgrade' and you'll see a very nice Passat instrument install. I believe it's the same as a T4?

Charlie

Small Moves Big Grooves! WeFunkRadio.com

T3ADICT View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T3ADICT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 10 at 00:41
if i can find the pics ... thats a big IF ....
then i will post some pics of my first van that had an audi digital dash fitted.
it worked quite well once i had sorted all the taped conections..

very retro too
WHY T3's.... because they are just so adictive, and having one just aint enough
 Post Reply Post Reply