The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT1 chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Glow plug relay

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spanner man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Glow plug relay
    Posted: 16 Dec 14 at 16:20
Been trying to get my lt started but cannot,can anybody tell me were the glow plug relay is on my lt35,1989.many thanks
Own 1989 LT35e camper
LTCamper89 View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 14 at 18:14
It is the big one, to the left end immediately above the fusebox, under the cover in the passenger footwell beneath the dash.

?Are you sure that is the problem?
1989 LT28 2.4D    Saviour of 6Music, well one of them. Now playing http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/bbc_6music

VW LT Camper not Cramper

....at least the roof is not rusting away....
Spanner man View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spanner man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 14 at 19:17
No not sure what it is,but have tried a few things and cannot get it started.and thanks very much for that information.
Own 1989 LT35e camper
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 14 at 20:57
?What is happening?
1989 LT28 2.4D    Saviour of 6Music, well one of them. Now playing http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/bbc_6music

VW LT Camper not Cramper

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spanner man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 14 at 22:03
Don't no what the problem is,just bought it a few weeks ago knowing it had problems starting.When me and the wife got it home with help from the AA man.Next day done all the normal things battery,glow plugs,fuel,still cannot get it started.Any help or on how to get it going will make the wife very happy and me.Andrew
Own 1989 LT35e camper
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 14 at 22:29
?What happens when you turn the key to the first position?

?Oil, battery, handbrake and glow-plug lights? On

When you turn to start after glow-plug light goes out, ?What happens then?

Sorry off to bed now.Sleepy

VW LT Camper not Cramper

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spanner man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 14 at 22:35
The engine turns but does not sound like it wants to start.andrew
Own 1989 LT35e camper
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 14 at 22:42
Check the fuses under the engine cover. 2no 50amp in a box.

going nowSleepy

Get the cover off and make sure there is current to the fusesSleepySleepy

VW LT Camper not Cramper

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spanner man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 14 at 13:59
Hi,had a quick look in the engine bay and could not fined them,give me some idea where they are .Andrew
Own 1989 LT35e camper
Roger View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 14 at 14:56
The two glow plug fuses are on the left side of the engine bay in a small box.  There is a picture of the fuses with the cover off the box in the following thread.

1989 LT31 Florida 2.4TD
mbtrac View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbtrac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 14 at 15:09
I am having the same problem starting my camper now.  When I try to start her from cold, the engine just keeps turning and turning but no firing.  I checked the 50 amp fuses at location mentioned by LTCamper89 and they were intact.  I then got some wire,  connected directly from the positive  battery terminal to the fuses and held it connected for 5 seconds and after that it started immediately.  Would the relay be gone in my case?
1993 LT31 2.4 TD, High-roof, ex-ambulance, converted to camper
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spanner man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 14 at 14:21
Hi we had a look and still cannot fined it,tried to upload photo but would not let me.will go and have another look.thank for the help just wish I could get it started Andrew
Own 1989 LT35e camper
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spanner man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 14 at 09:19
Own 1989 LT35e camper
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 14 at 10:30
I do not recognise any of that.Confused

I cannot have a look at the minute, out and about.

VW LT Camper not Cramper

light View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote light Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 14 at 12:54
Originally posted by Spanner man Spanner man wrote:

They look like solenoids ?
Easy way to test the glow plugs is to find a good heavy length of wire and connect it to the battery's positive terminal then touch the cooper/brass connector strip that joins all the glow plugs together ,hold it there for about 20 seconds then turn the engine over /start the engine if it starts you then know you have a power supply problem to the glow plugs ,you then need to work your way back through the circuit if it dose not start the problem is likely to lie else where 
light View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote light Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 14 at 13:11
Originally posted by Spanner man Spanner man wrote:

I take it the two red white wires running  running downwards go to the g/plugs ?

If so the red and white wire (top left) is the feed/supply there should be power to this permanently

The black thin wire will be what switches the solenoids  ( via a switched supply from ignition)but this has an inline fuse in it ( the tube like plastic bit center of the photo ) this should be checked ( twist lock bayonet type fitting) 

The whole set up looks DIY/after market chance is are the van has  a problem with the fuse box but the set up should be fine when working  

Post Reply Post Reply