The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Changing a Turbo on a 1.9?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Idris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Changing a Turbo on a 1.9?
    Posted: 02 Dec 21 at 17:48
Is there any how to? Phot blog? Or video's on changing the turbo on a 1.9?

Mine is drinking a litre of oil every 2/3000km and most of it is inside the exhaust (took the middle bit when changing seats).

Just pulled the intake off the turbo 

and there is some oil just sitting in the turbo inlet.

Van runs fine otherwise.

Thinking to pull the turbo off and swap the center (cartridge?)? Or should I be looking down another avenue.  
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 21 at 20:13
What is the mileage?  There shouldn't really be any oil in the inlet/cool/impeller side of the turbo if everything is in really good nick.  I once posted a pic here of my 2.5 and it was pretty clean.

It's a good sign that the turbo has little or no movement.  It doesn't confirm absolutely that the turbo seals are good but a hopeful sign.  

What state is the air filter/air filter box in?  Oily?  The most depressing possibility is piston/bore wear but unless you have big miles or poor maintenance history that is less likely.  If it was mine I would check/clean/replace the breather as a start.

On changing the turbo if you have to, there are threads here and elsewhere on the web.  On the 1.9's the turbo comes complete with the manifold unlike the 2.5.

Btw, that oil consumption is considered 'normal' by VW if you complain about a van under warranty.

Edited by T5 TDI - 02 Dec 21 at 20:19
2004 2.5 174
Idris View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Idris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 21 at 15:18
Originally posted by T5 TDI T5 TDI wrote:

What is the mileage?  There shouldn't really be any oil in the inlet/cool/impeller side of the turbo if everything is in really good nick.  I once posted a pic here of my 2.5 and it was pretty clean.

It's a good sign that the turbo has little or no movement.  It doesn't confirm absolutely that the turbo seals are good but a hopeful sign.  

What state is the air filter/air filter box in?  Oily?  The most depressing possibility is piston/bore wear but unless you have big miles or poor maintenance history that is less likely.  If it was mine I would check/clean/replace the breather as a start.

On changing the turbo if you have to, there are threads here and elsewhere on the web.  On the 1.9's the turbo comes complete with the manifold unlike the 2.5.

Btw, that oil consumption is considered 'normal' by VW if you complain about a van under warranty.

168'000km or about 104,000miles.

Air filter/box clean - I am going to take the rocker cover off to have a look.

Previous to me it was one owner, multiple driver. So fullservice history, but Very hard thrashing. I bought it at 145,000km and I had to put drive shafts , DMF and clutch in it.

It runs no problems at all and gets 38mpg living at 1000m in the alps and almost daily french Autoroute (side note I need a higher 5th)

Thanks for your coment, if I don't find something obvious in the rocker/breather/EGR I am going to keep an eye on the oil consumption and just drive.
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 21 at 19:50
Originally posted by Idris Idris wrote:

if I don't find something obvious in the rocker/breather/EGR I am going to keep an eye on the oil consumption and just drive.

I'm with you.   I'm not sure you do actually have a problem.  If you want to worry about something on the 1.9 look out for coolant problems.  Head gasket failures are quite common and easily masked by a cool diesel engine.  Wink  
2004 2.5 174
Idris View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Idris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 21 at 17:27
Originally posted by T5 TDI T5 TDI wrote:

Originally posted by Idris Idris wrote:

if I don't find something obvious in the rocker/breather/EGR I am going to keep an eye on the oil consumption and just drive.

I'm with you.   I'm not sure you do actually have a problem.  If you want to worry about something on the 1.9 look out for coolant problems.  Head gasket failures are quite common and easily masked by a cool diesel engine.  Wink  

In summer mine leaks 100ml per 5000km and none in winter. The rad isn't completely straight. I suspect the van has had at least 2 shunts in the front and has had the bonnet replaced, possibly one of the wings also. One day it will get worse and I'll replace it.

Just done my third oil change (24,000km of ownership)...keeping a close eye on things.
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 21 at 20:23
You could get the cooling system pressure tested but those tiny weeps often don't show up.  I think you are doing all the right things for now just keeping an eye on oil and water consumption.  Was your original smoke on start up (other forum!) blue, black or white?   
2004 2.5 174
 Post Reply Post Reply