The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Turbo issue? Oil consumption

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Idris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Turbo issue? Oil consumption
    Posted: 13 Oct 21 at 11:44
2006 1.9 84ps transporter, sub poverty spec ex. German Post.

My van drinks 1.5-2 litres of oil every 10,000km. There is always some oil in the intercooler plumbing.

Prior to me it was owend by the German post office. It was fully serviced and heavily thrashed. I got it at 145,000km and it needed drive shafts and DMF.

Do I need to be worried about it's thirst for oil?
I think it's the turbo that's leaking?
How do I check how worn the turbo is? It drives fine for an 84ps (No problem to cruise at 130+kph)
Can you get rebuild kits for these turbos? How hard to do? (I've done engine and head swaps on other vehicles)
Or a replacement turbo?
In future I am hoping to get this van remaped (when I visit the UK) and I think I should sort this issue first.

Thanks Tom in Chamonix
Rebuild View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebuild Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 21 at 23:53
not sure on the 1.9s, but i have checked the turbo on my 2.5 AXE 180K km.
I removed the turbo intake piping and a flanged housing at the turbo intake. Easy enough just had to remove air filter box for access.Can then reach the compressor wheel and feel for slop
My turbo has about 0.5mm slop there and is not rubbing on the housing.
Will get to it eventually. I have seen turbo rebuild kits on ebay for my Garret VNT15. Don't know about the quality though, and you'd still need to get the turbo rebalanced.
The 84's are a KKK turbo?

I also checked the exhaust side, with the vehicle up on ramps.Reasonably easy to remove the exhaust coupling
If a wheel is touching the housing, I'd get it seen to quickly. You don't want a blade letting go.

My intake piping has an oil film, with puddling at the piping junctions.Doesn't seem to use oil between changes though.

Check the PCV valve?

Good luck

Edited by Rebuild - 14 Oct 21 at 01:31
Steve
2004 T5 2.5 TDI
 Post Reply Post Reply