The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Tech help
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

E10 fuel and the T3

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote autostart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: E10 fuel and the T3
    Posted: 01 Jul 21 at 22:15
Hi everyone,so recently I’ve been hearing a lot about this new fuel E10 and how incompatible it is with some of the older cars and vans and buses et cetera does anybody out there know what precautions we can take to keep our vans running.
autohomes 2.1 dj 1987
My other van is a B32
chris7ian View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris7ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 21 at 11:56
First thing would be to upfrade the fuel lines - the last time they upped the Ethanol content, the fuel destroyed the one line I hadn't upgraded in my bug below the tank

clift_d View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clift_d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 21 at 12:18
The consensus seems to be that it won't be an issue for the engines - many countries are already running on E10 anyway, and there haven't been any big problems reported for T3s.

However, as chris7ian says, the main thing you have to watch out for is your fuel hoses. If you haven't changed them recently then I would suggest you do this immediately, as they perish as they oxidise over time, and the ethanol content in the fuel can acelerate this process. This causes cracking of the rubber in the hoses, which can lead to fuel leaks in the engine bay, and possible fires. Brickwerks have a really detailed article on their blog about the the problem with buying suitable fuel hose, which is here:

https://www.brickwerks.co.uk/brickwerks-blog/fuel-hose-information-and-reassurances/

To paraphrase, you need to check what you're buying, and the suggestion is that you make sure that any new fuel hose you buy is compatible with 100% ethanol, i.e. E100. Neither the R9 spec (SAE J30 R9) nor the R14 spec (SAE J30 R14), both of which you frequently see quoted for fuel hoses, require compliance with an ethanol content higher than 5%, so you need to look for a hose that not only meets either the R9 or R14 spec generally, but which also exceeds it in respect of Ethanol or Biodiesel content. The hose that Brickwerks sell is R9 spec plus compatability with fuel that has up to 100% Ethanol or Biodiesel content, and products like the Gates Barricade hoses are similar, so I would suggest going with something like that. Whatever you do, don't just buy generic R9 or R14 hoses off the interweb and assume it will be okay.

Edited by clift_d - 02 Jul 21 at 12:20
1988 1.6TD Westfalia Club Joker syncro
autostart View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote autostart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 21 at 09:09
thanks guys I have changed my fuel lines recently I think it was about two years ago but I’m going to double check just to make sure that what I bought is suitable enough anyway thanks again.
autohomes 2.1 dj 1987
My other van is a B32
clift_d View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clift_d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 21 at 09:00
If you can't work out what was fitted then it's worth doing again.
chris7ian View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris7ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 21 at 10:49
If it's quality hose the rating will be stamped on in

clift_d View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clift_d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 21 at 12:36
Even if the hose has an SAE spec reference stamped on it, that won't tell you about ethanol compatability.  Hose meeting the R9 spec (SAE J30 R9) or R14 spec (SAE J30 R14) only needs to cope with fuel that has 5% ethanol content (E-5). You need a hose that not only meets either the R9 or R14 spec generally, but which also exceeds it in respect of Ethanol or Biodiesel content, i.e. E-100.
 Post Reply Post Reply