The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT1 chat
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Front windscreen rubber - different top and bottom
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Front windscreen rubber - different top and bottom

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blix99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Front windscreen rubber - different top and bottom
    Posted: 20 Feb 21 at 12:26
Hi there.

I have an issue with my LT28 front windscreen rubber.

Are they supposed to be shaped differently top and bottom? I looks like it needs to be narrower at the top and wide at the bottom.

The top lip on the bodywork of the windscreen opening is very narrow (not much rubber needed to fill it) whereas the bottom body lip is quite wide. The rubber looks the same width all around but, when fitted, the top sticks out, even though the windscreen is tight and the inner part of the rubber overlaps the same all around.

The top part that sticks out allows water into the seam, which isn't good for water tightness.
I've just spent two hours carefully getting the screen back out, thinking I had the rubber on upside-down, only to see it looks uniform all the way around. I just can't see how this will keep water out of the seam?

My only though is if this isn't an OEM rubbber but it is the one that came with the van. It wasn't fitted as the previous owner had broken the screen trying to remove it to do rust repairs.

Any thoughts gratefully received. Cheers
nooberdoober View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nooberdoober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 21 at 16:06
only thing I can think is that the previous owner may have recreated the profile of the lip when performing the rust repairs and not made sure that it is even all the way around. It should be identical width all the way around that lip. 

I've changed my screen and can confirm what a tricky job it is to do. Especially if you were on your own. I had two sets of helping hands, so three of us to fit mine. Two on the outside with the sucker pads and one on the inside pulling the wire line through

If the lip has been re-profiled incorrectly during repairs, it would make more sense that the bottom lip was perhaps fatter (due to excess filler or weld)  than the top as usually the bottom of the windscreen opening that suffers with rust.

Essentially the width should be the exact thickness of the two sheets of body panel meeting up snuggly with tack welds all the way along the seem.

Are you certain you've managed to pull the rubber all the way through upon fitting the new screen?
I got me a 2.4 straight Six......and it's a soundin JUICY!

1984 LT40 2.4 petrol Coachbuilt Autotrail Motorhome
m+m lt28 camper View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m+m lt28 camper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 21 at 22:48
As you have the screen out already put the rubber on to shape it (obviously it should be the shape)but leave it for a while and try to warm it all up before trying to fit ie a warm kettle of water NOT BOILING  and something like a slight rub of sealer or vaselin. 
 Post Reply Post Reply