The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

04 T5 2.5 Run Away

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Packman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 04 T5 2.5 Run Away
    Posted: 27 Jan 21 at 19:04
Well after it being off the road for a year ti was going great with its new intermederate bearing within the geartrain a updated S/H shaft and gear from Germany. 

Its now running a turbo dynamics hybrid turbo boosting at 27psi and holding 25psi (not been mapped yet) and big front mounted intercooler and a new map sensor. 

This last week the oil light has come on for a sec twice with the buzzer , i stopped all good in the oil department and nice and clean as ive had the sump off and popped a new pick up pipe on. Also been smelling odd on tick over with a bit of blue smoke never thought anything of it until tonight.

Going to my parants it decided to runaway with massive revs and thank god it only did it for a few seconds but nearly ended badly both times !

There is no smoke out the back indicating turbo oil seal so WTF is going on .... left it there will go back with tools at the weekend to check boost pipes ....

Anybody ?
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 21 at 23:12
Make sure the oil is bang on the mark and not high (pushed up by diesel or coolant getting into the oil) or overfilled. Otherwise it does sound like turbo seals.  If you take the lower intercooler hose off on the weekend you should see if there is lots of oil running out.  A few drips is ok.  
2004 2.5 174
gregozedobe View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 21 at 10:57
The only common reasons I an think of for a runaway on a diesel is excess oil getting into the intake somehow, an injector sticking open or a throttle control staying open.  For a runaway to happen it has to be getting something combustible to burn.

As you've already noticed, a runaway can be quite dangerous (and scary), so definitely worth investigating ASAP.

Edited by gregozedobe - 28 Jan 21 at 10:58
912 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 912 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 21 at 13:06
there’s a flap in the inlet that kills the air to stop the engine , can’t remember if it’s just the throttle but check it’s not sticking 
Packman View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Packman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 21 at 18:27
I remember it holds 7.4 ltrs 5/30 .... and im sure its on the level , as i said there was no smoke but a strange buring smell with a bit of smoke the other night on tick over but nothing to indicate a failing turbo seal ... its only done 1000 miles at most and its not even mapped yet. 
Packman View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Packman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 21 at 13:46
Right been to the van this morning and the oil was up on the dipstick. Drained it all out and its diesel so its been filling the sump up with fuel hence the run away !

Popped 3ltrs of new oil in there and took it up the road , yes we got away with bent valves ect ect and then it started billowing whilte soke out the exhaust (neat fuel ) then .... so we turned it round and took it 1/4 back and left it there until i decide the next move.

So were should i start , its injecting loads of fuel it idles nicely its only when you put your foot down or go through the gears....
912 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 912 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 21 at 14:30
I would be pulling the injectors and having them tested 
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 21 at 22:08
There are only really only a few reasons for fuel to get into the oil.  Injector seals, the injectors themselves, the injectors rocking in the head damaging the seals and the tandem pump.  Unfortunately if the head is damaged it can get very expensive because there is no boring/sleeving repair for this problem that I know of so it usually ends up with a new head circa £5000! 
2004 2.5 174
Packman View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Packman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 21 at 17:00
Yes i thourght so , it did it all of a sudden so it seemed ....

So what do i start with 1st !

912 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 912 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 21 at 18:57
pull the injectors, if it’s running rough and chucking oil in the sump I would suspect a worn or sticking injector 
Packman View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Packman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 21 at 19:16
Yes that ight be the 1st task , will get the tested and checked for flow .... Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply