The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Chasing a noisy exhaust leak

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Idris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Chasing a noisy exhaust leak
    Posted: 12 Jan 21 at 17:15
Probably had this noise a while, had a wheelbearing die, it was getting worse, or rather it was masking the seccond issue - this.

(2006 1.9 TDI 84 hp BRR) Any suggestions of finding a noisy engine area exhaust leak? Most noisy in the airbox area.

Things I've tried - covering everything in sopy water - amost nothing, slight bubbling between halfs of the turbo, but can't realy see.
Pushing air up the exhaust with a hairdrier - tried from the back, nothing, split the pipe under the front seats and shoved it in there, I can hear a faint leak, but too fain to hear over the hairdrier itself (hardrier in the van, plumbed ysing vaccum cleaner hose). - Tried the same with soapy water.
Access is a PITA, took the undertray off, but not much more I can do.
Any ideas? Wait untill it gets worse?
In an older vehicle (say my Mitsubishi Delica) I'd just feed ATF into the fuel line, it would smoke but otherwise run Ok and just follow the smoke, but can't really play that game on a modern PD engine?
Rebuild View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebuild Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 21 at 07:19
Originally posted by Idris Idris wrote:

In an older vehicle (say my Mitsubishi Delica) I'd just feed ATF into the fuel line, it would smoke but otherwise run Ok and just follow the smoke, but can't really play that game on a modern PD engine?

Why not? Where's your sense of adventure Smile

On the 5 cyl, exhaust leaks are usually at the manifold to block mountings or cracks in the manifold itself. Usually just look for soot.

Edited by Rebuild - 14 Jan 21 at 07:20
Steve
2004 T5 2.5 TDI
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 21 at 10:04
The 1.9 is less common for manifold leaking.  Are all the studs intact?  You can try getting someone to put a gloved hand over the tailpipe for a few seconds at a time (I say gloved hand because it will be warm/hot and very sooty) while you look under the bonnet.  If you do this in the dark with a good torch it shows up the smoke better.  Other than that follow the soot marks as Rebuild says.  Don't forget the EGR system, the manifold-to-EGR pipes can crack out of sight.     
2004 2.5 174
Idris View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Idris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 21 at 12:00
Found it, or rather found them!

Exhaust gas leak, causing my headache and the noise were two seperate things.

The exhaust gas leak was the mating surfaces and metal gaskets on my EGR had corrosion on them - so much for stainless. Cleaned, and tightend down hard, fixed.

Red one was leaking a bit, blue one was leaking a lot, found both with a spray bottle full of soapy water.

The anoying noise was the air intake pipe for the airbox. Had a friend ( a seccond pair of eyes and a new look on things helps find the things you miss) look and listen while I reved the engine, blocked the exhaust and generaly did the test you can't do solo. He found it in a about one min.

Close up, its from behind/below the RHS headlamp to the airbox

Same thing form a distance - to give a better idea of where it hides.
 Post Reply Post Reply