The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Tech
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Glow plug removal

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote psion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Glow plug removal
    Posted: 17 Oct 20 at 14:35
Hi all

Has anyone ever changed the glow plugs? Do they come out easy as hear horror stories of them breaking and then having to remove the head!

mojo View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 20 at 09:11
Never had a problem with mine but have come across some stubborn ones. Depends on how long they've been in there. Best thing to do is clean the surrounding area so no crud falls into the cylinder on removal, get some penetrating fluid on them for a few days before removal. Keep running the van for the few days adding more penetrating fluid if needed each day and get the engine hot before you remove them. Another thing to do is test the glow plugs before you install them (you'll need jump leads and a battery), test the earth of the cylinder head and test each power lead is giving power to them on ignition (need a multimeter) just to bee 100% sure the whole system is working.
2006 LT35 TDI 109 AVR
912 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 912 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 20 at 10:18
as mojo says , but also check whether they actually needs replacement, if they work they don’t , they aren’t a service item, they only need changing when they fail 

To test , disconnect the wiring to them , get a multi meter and test them for continuity , if they have continually they are fine 
Junk View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Junk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 20 at 10:54
If I remember right the last two (I.e furthest from the front of the van) were a real pain to access. Think I took out a couple of the metal fuel inlets for the injectors and I cut a spanner short so it was small enough to be able to get them loose. I think that was for the last one but I may be remembering wrong.

Basically it's a bigger pain in the arse than it looks so it really pays to test them first and only change if necessary
LT 35 TD from 1995 (ACL engine) with a box truck body
psion View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote psion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 20 at 17:12
Thanks for all the answers, it turned out to be one of the two strip fuses in the engine bay one had a hair line crack, replaced both of them and all is good again
Buss Marius View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buss Marius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 20 at 18:55
That type of fuse usualy has that thin hairline crack when it is gone. Important to know when checking it.
87 Karmann LT L 2,4D. 89 T3 Syncro Reimo 1,9TD. 2000 T4 Caravelle TDI
 Post Reply Post Reply