The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

04 T5 2.5 won't start ... help

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Packman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 04 T5 2.5 won't start ... help
    Posted: 16 Sep 20 at 19:25
Ok 04 T34 2.5 ran fine except oil leaks. Took the engine out replaced the rear main seal clutch kit oil cooler and various other gaskets and took the sump off for a new pic up pipe. So all the engine and box is minty clean and back in but won't fire up.

I'm getting code PO 1664 no shit surlock  ..... the injectors loom screwed onto the side of the head fine all the fuses seem all food what's going on ????
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 20 at 19:23
I'd say something is unplugged.  I think that code could also apply to any switched supply (terminal 15) fault as well as a missing earth somewhere.  If your code reader allows it - are there any codes in any other controllers or can it only check engine codes?

Worth looking at the really big fuses in the E box which is underneath the battery if you have checked both the cab and small fuse box next to the battery, especially if you shorted anything during the work.  

Check that twist connection for the injector loom again it's quite common for people to get that wrong!
2004 2.5 174
Packman View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Packman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 20 at 20:48
Hi there

Thanks for the reply i will check things out tomorrow and let you know Thumbs Up
Packman View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Packman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 20 at 08:38
Took a look yesterday and everything thing looks good in that main box under the battery. Id say its never been opened. Checked the fuses in the cab as well and there all ok. When turning the ing on there is no power to the glow plugs eaither im pretty sure the injectors and glow plugs come from the same loom ? 
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 20 at 09:23
Never had to deal with glowplugs on a 2.5.  It does sound like you are missing a switched supply.  There is a relay for that in the Ebox.  You could check check for current at the ignition switch and then go on to the relay.  You need a wiring diagram.  However I would go over every single electrical thing you disconnected once again including earths, even to the extent of disconnecting and reconnecting.  

I know this sounds obvious but do you definitely have both +ve battery cables on.  If I remember one of them is loose and can flip off unnoticed when you disconnect leaving the main starter cable only.  
2004 2.5 174
Packman View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Packman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 20 at 18:55
Roger on the switched supply and the 2 battery cables. When the engine was out the whole bay was cleaned inc the looms. Im sure its something ive missed or not connected but bugger if i can see it !
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 20 at 22:25
Keep plugging on!  You should see something on VCDS if any major plug is not connected.  But it is no good just looking just at the engine fault codes alone.  If you can get a complete scan of everything on the whole van something might give away a clue.  If all codes simply point to a loss of terminal 15 supply then you just have to follow the whole electrical path from the ignition switch onwards.    

2004 2.5 174
 Post Reply Post Reply