The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Tech help
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1.6TD Auxiliary Water Pump Operation

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave.arthur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1.6TD Auxiliary Water Pump Operation
    Posted: 25 Aug 20 at 03:17
I am striving to understand the wiring and hence operation of the 1.6TD auxiliary water pump. I am using a current flow diagram No. 46/1

It appears that the pump is active on two circumstances:

1. Starter is engaged, current goes to pin 50 of the glow plug relay and energizes a relay (J151) that provides a ground to the pump. The relay is energized only when cranking  the engine.

2. Thermoswitch F95 provides a ground to the pump at 107C and will remain closed until temperature reduces.

If I am correct the pump during engine operation is simply controlled by the thermoswitch F95

Thoughts/Correction welcome Smile
dave.arthur View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave.arthur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 20 at 03:27
Following is a link to the wiring diagram I reference.

RogerT View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RogerT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 20 at 23:58
My understanding is that condition 2 is only when the engine has been switched off, enabling some cooling flow through a hot engine when there would otherwise be none.
dave.arthur View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave.arthur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 20 at 00:35
That was my deduction also, then I realized that the pump is wired directly to the battery, so anytime the thermoswitch closes the pump will run. In fact it is the only way the pump will run (other than condition 1).

I have tried an experiment using the Brickwerks alternate thermoswitch, which activates at 100C. System seems to run cooler.
Pete Westy View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete Westy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 20 at 14:49
The only time that mine runs is when the engine is at running temp (hot) and you stop. If you jump into bed you will hear it running for 5 - 10 minutes until the head cools down.. There is no point in it running any other time as there is a much bigger pump pumping water round.
Pete

I've spent so much time under the Atlantic I'm changing my name to Titanic.
 Post Reply Post Reply