Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Tech help
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sudden brake fluid loss - no apparent leak

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Vanorak
Vanorak
Arriba! Yii-hah!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sudden brake fluid loss - no apparent leak
    Posted: 03 Aug 20 at 20:51

Diesel 1Y engined T3:

Experienced sudden braking efficiency loss, and brake fluid level in reservoir dropped.

Refilled, and level remains constant. 

Braking efficiency still poor though. Back of all wheels are as dry as a bone. No leaks evident under the dash.

Baffled!

Any thoughts?

Back in the slow lane, yeah!
Chappy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
Arriba! Yii-hah!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 20 at 21:14
No leaks from clutch system either.
Nugget View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nugget Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 20 at 23:17
Hey up Chappy how's things? I've not been on here for a while its all gone quiet since I last had a T3, I should be picking another up this week so back in the slow lane.

Back to your brake snag it could be the servo, tell tale sign is smoke when running.
Chappy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
Arriba! Yii-hah!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 20 at 01:00
Nugg! How you doing buddy, it’s been ages!! 
Always loved your Westy rebuild 🙂
Chappy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
Arriba! Yii-hah!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 20 at 01:03
So what causes the smoke?

This is a diesel, so the servo gets it’s vacuum from a vacuum pump on the engine rather than intake manifold vacuum.

I suppose I could disconnect the Vacuum tube at the servo to make sure the servo isn’t full of fluid! 

I’m struggling to get my head around where the fluid has gone! 
jaber View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 20 at 14:31
check your flexible brake pipes whilst someone operates the brakes, I had something similar on a tranny the pipes had perished internally causing them to ballon
Steve
take yer time there's a second prize
Chappy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
Arriba! Yii-hah!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 20 at 14:51
Good call Steve! 
Had a look and they all look good. No deformation under pressure, and no sign of leakage either. 

I gave them a good going over - especially around their protectors/sleeves due to risk of the pipes rubbing on the chassis and suspension.
Nugget View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nugget Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 20 at 16:15
All good here thanks, I had a couple more T3's after the high top, a multivan that I still regret selling and a SOKA that I bought for the house build that I later sold to Hutch, I've been vanless since then although the missus has got a T4 multivan that we use as a daily.  I restored a Davrian a few years back and have had that sat in the garage hardly being used except for trackdays so its going to make way for a T3 panel which should get used by me and my boy when we go mountain biking.

Have you still got the Florida?  What happened to the rest of the Brickies, Jason, Elvis, Hutch Rowlsey etc?

Oh and don't look for smoke, as its a diesel it won't be drawing fluid into the inlet.
Chappy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
Arriba! Yii-hah!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 21 at 14:23
Half year update!!!

The rear cylinders were shot - one was leaking consistently, but slowly.

I concluded that the driver hadn't noticed the sustained fluid loss over time - with it only becoming apparent when braking was affected.  Slow rate of loss also accounts for why it wasn't evident on the back of the wheel or brake back plate.

Full rebuilt now accomplished!

Post Reply Post Reply