The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

No start

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robertsitrep9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: No start
    Posted: 04 May 20 at 03:18
T5 2006 AXD TDI 2.5 diesel  84000 Kl. No start turn key to on all dash lights on turn key to start all lights fade out no turn of starter  no click sounds ,battery good 12.48 amps ,central locking working ok ,where do I start looking . Bob B
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 20 at 09:23
I'd start with the battery earth lead.  Check it all the way from the battery down to where it goes on to the top starter bolt.  

After that next check the +ve battery cable cable connection all the way from the battery to the starter.  You may have to pull off the cover for the starter motor cables off so you can check for permanent 12v from battery.
2004 2.5 174
gregozedobe View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 20 at 15:17
In the spirit of keeping things simple and looking for the most common fault first, I'd suggest a proper load test on the battery.  All lights fading out when cranking makes me think the battery is unable to supply enough current (most likely), or there is a problem with the starter motor eg electrical short (much less likely).

What is the battery voltage when you try to crank the starter motor ?  I'll bet it is way, way less than 12.48V(olts).  You could try charging the battery, but if the battery is no longer holding a charge it probably won't help.

If it is a dud battery, after replacing it make sure the alternator is charging properly (with the engine running at 2,000 rpm the voltage should go up to 14.4 - 14.7V).

AGM batteries are currently the best, but they cost more than the regular batteries.
Robertsitrep9 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robertsitrep9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 20 at 07:05
Have taken onboard your advice thanks ,and have purchased a potable jump start power supply ,now there’s a click sound from start motor still no go! Went for the option of power pack because can’t lift the battery out (had a operation a few weeks a go  no  lifting) in the mean time will remove starter motor and see how I go.
Regards Bob B
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 20 at 11:53
Do you have the option of a call-out road service ? eg AAA, NRMA etc 

That way they can check your electricals and give you a more accurate diagnosis of what is wrong before you start crawling around the engine bay and possibly aggravating medical problems.

Anther thing you could try (if you have a manual 'box) is to rock the van back or forward a few inches (in gear, clutch out) to see if that unjams the starter motor.

If the headlights go really dull when you try to crank the starter (without any rotation) that can mean low charge in the battery, or a problem with the starter motor.

Edited by gregozedobe - 05 May 20 at 11:58
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robertsitrep9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 20 at 04:10
Ok here we go, taken your advice on voltage test (turn key and observe Vmete .4 ) serious drain ! Yet the green light in the battery is showing it is good ????.
Yes I am a member of Royal Auto Club WA.
The van is a automatic 6speed triptonic. The suggestion on rocking the vehicle was a good one use to work a treat with my Mini Cooper .
Bob B
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 20 at 06:09
The easy option is to get the RACWA to check it out for you.  

I'd still be suspicious of the battery (until proven otherwise), as it is by far more common than starter faults.
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robertsitrep9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 20 at 11:14
Yes your original diagnosis was correct, battery not up to scratch ! Went to Repco today parted with $300+ And installed new battery away we go we are running 🏃‍♀️ thank you for the advice I consider what you have put forward on these pages excellent advice and will keep eyes peeled for further pearls of wisdom.
Thank you Bob B
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 20 at 05:52
No problem.  Glad you are up and running again.  I always look for the easiest/most common solutions first, then move on to more complex/difficult causes next as needed.

BTW It sounds like that jump starter you bought isn't up to the job of starting your van when it has a totally dead battery, so I wouldn't rely on it to get you out of trouble in the future.  I bought a couple for my vehicles, and decent ones are definitely not cheap.
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robertsitrep9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 20 at 05:11
Post Opps ,went back to Repco purchase a  new multimeter today the old one was reading 17 .7 up to 18 I thought alternator was over charging ,New one reads 14.4  to 14.46 at 2000 rpm I am assuming that’s the correct voltage ,
Also I paid $100 for the jump start kit no idea if that’s bottom end market,never the less vehicle is running many thanks .Bob B
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 20 at 07:04
Running voltage depends on the car, but 14.4 - 14.8v is a common voltage range.  

Often you get a hint that there is a battery problem developing if the starter motor seems to be cranking the engine slower than usual, and often the engine then takes longer to fire up.
 Post Reply Post Reply