The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT2 and sprinter forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Intermittent starting issue

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote no1bloke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Intermittent starting issue
    Posted: 26 Mar 20 at 16:03
Hi guys, can anyone help? I have a 2001 LT32 2.5TDI van, recently we were away for a month and on return the van wouldn't start, turned over no problem but not firing. Sqirted some easy start into the inlet and after a few attempts it started and ran well all day starting repeatedly. Couple of days later back to square one - not starting, this time wouldn't go even with easy start! Cracked an injector pipe off - no fuel.
Bought a new fuel cut off valve and went to fit it and thought I'd give it one more try and it started...
Fitted the new valve anyway as I'd bought it and it ran for a couple of days.
Few days go by failed to start again, spinning over but now joy.
Towed it to a friends house to do some work on it and the bloody thing started while we were looking at it.
The only thing I noticed when it wouldn't go I left the ignition on and while under the Bonet I heard a clunk from the heater plug relay, turned the key and it started. 
My question is if the heater plug relay isn't working will this stop the engine from firing? Any ideas please.

http://www.mike-edwards.net
mojo View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 20 at 22:02
Hi,
No, is the answer. It'll still start without the glow system working, unless in mega minus temperatures. If I remember rightly it's about 15 seconds after ignition you'll hear the 'clunk' relay switching off which is normal. It sounds to me more like your fuel is leaking back from the pump. There is a clear section on the fuel feed pipe to the pump, I'd check it before a start to see if there is fuel in the pipe, if not, it's draining back.
When was the filter and it's o-rings last changed this could cause drain back if it's knackered.
Have you tried waiting for the glow relay to 'clunk' switch off before cranking to see if it starts, just to see if the last time it happened was a coincedence.
2006 LT35 TDI 109 AVR
tellytubby View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tellytubby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 20 at 23:46
I agree.  Mine will start in winter without pre heat - just takes a few more cranks.

Simple things to check are the filter - it's in an awkward location and often missed  in servicing.  It does get blocked and obviously  air  leaks would be a concern. 

After that you need vcds to ensure that the low pressure pump is supplying fuel to the high pressure  pump.  With vcds you can run this independently - as if priming the system  after running  out of fuel.  Other checks would be to see if you are getting rpm signals during cranking.

TT
no1bloke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote no1bloke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 20 at 12:40
Thanks guys, I changed the filter a couple of years ago about 30k, I undid the drain plug in the bottom and clean fuel came out not water or dirty stuff so assumed it was OK.
It seems to be electrical as one minute its just turning over the next it fires up like normal. I'll change the filter next and see where that gets us.
Its the click/clunk from a relay under the bonnet that seems to decide if its going to start or not.
Thanks again and I'll update when I've done the filter. Not 100% when that is though, stay safe out there. 
no1bloke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote no1bloke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 20 at 15:01
Good news people, not 100% but think I isolated the starting issue. Air in the fuel line, the fuel is running back down the inlet pipe to the filter/tank. Fitted a priming bulb from a french filth Master and it starts up every time so far. Going to replace all the bleed off pipes and look at the short rubber connecting pipes in the fuel line itself. Thanks for your help chaps.
Mike.
mojo View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 20 at 21:56
Good luck with it and let us know how you get on.
2006 LT35 TDI 109 AVR
 Post Reply Post Reply