The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - T5 2.5tdi fumes in cabin briefly on start up...?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

T5 2.5tdi fumes in cabin briefly on start up...?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhilLWB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: T5 2.5tdi fumes in cabin briefly on start up...?
    Posted: 08 Mar 20 at 18:51
Hello all,

As per the title, I've been getting fumes in the cab on startup if I have the heater on hot setting.

I've been reading around and finding out about cracked manifolds etc.

......but with mine I only get the fumes on startup for a few minutes, and only comes through to the cab if I have the heater on hot mode.

I normally deal with it by leaving the windows open for a few mins, or don't have the heater on for a 5 mins. Once engines ran for a few mins its fine.

Any thoughts anyone?

Thanks

Phil
gregozedobe View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 20 at 00:47
Possibly the manifold to turbo gasket.  Mine was leaking, I had it "fixed" but it has started to leak again.

Charlie Dog View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 20 at 18:55
Originally posted by PhilLWB PhilLWB wrote:

Hello all,

As per the title, I've been getting fumes in the cab on startup if I have the heater on hot setting.

I've been reading around and finding out about cracked manifolds etc.

......but with mine I only get the fumes on startup for a few minutes, and only comes through to the cab if I have the heater on hot mode.

I normally deal with it by leaving the windows open for a few mins, or don't have the heater on for a 5 mins. Once engines ran for a few mins its fine.

Any thoughts anyone?

Thanks

Phil

Have you checked the bonnet seal Phil?
It keeps the engine room fumes out of the heater.

Folks reckon Darkside produce a good manifold.
PhilLWB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhilLWB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 20 at 09:44
Thanks for the tips.

I'll have a good nose round at the weekend. I've not really fiddled around much with it, but I do need to change the filters and give it some love and a good clean! :-)

Cheers

Phil
Yomp View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yomp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 20 at 13:55
Which 2.5 is it? The earlier ones cracked whereas the later ones bent. I have a BPC 174 (later cast version) and that warped at 100,000 miles. A quick reface on a milling machine and its been right ever since now on 275,000 miles. 
Also exhaust manifold studs are prone to be broken off by ham fisted types. Maybe someones been in there already and done hallf a job?

1983 VW Golf GTI
1983 VW Golf GTI
1979 VW Golf GTI
1977 VW Golf GTI
2015 Golf Alltrack
2007 VW T5 Sportline

Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 20 at 20:05
Originally posted by Yomp Yomp wrote:

Which 2.5 is it? The earlier ones cracked whereas the later ones bent. I have a BPC 174 (later cast version) and that warped at 100,000 miles. A quick reface on a milling machine and its been right ever since now on 275,000 miles. 
Also exhaust manifold studs are prone to be broken off by ham fisted types. Maybe someones been in there already and done hallf a job?  Made 2 or 3 other jobs in my book :-((

Have you any idea why it only happens at start-up please Yomp?
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 20 at 23:46
I reckon that's down to the extra smoke diesels always produce at start up Charlie.  Especially on a cold engine with glow plug heating.  The fumes from a cracked manifold are probably always present but you just don't notice it with a warm engine producing less smoke.  My early (steel) manifold was the same when it cracked, at its worst it produced choking fumes briefly in the cab on start up but it was wasn't really noticeable once it got going, but that doesn't mean it wasn't quietly poisoning me all the time!  I wouldn't advise anyone to put up with that fault for too long.

2004 2.5 174
gregozedobe View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 20 at 04:28
Mine was most noticeble at start-up, but if I sat idling for a while (eg at lights) I would also get a whiff of exhaust fumes.
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 20 at 07:46
Originally posted by T5 TDI T5 TDI wrote:

I reckon that's down to the extra smoke diesels always produce at start up Charlie.  Especially on a cold engine with glow plug heating. Thanks T5 The fumes from a cracked manifold are probably always present but you just don't notice it with a warm engine producing less smoke.  My early (steel) manifold was the same when it cracked, at its worst it produced choking fumes briefly in the cab on start up but it was wasn't really noticeable once it got going, but that doesn't mean it wasn't quietly poisoning me all the time!  I wouldn't advise anyone to put up with that fault for too long.  Interesting point.
For less than a fiver, one can get a Monoxide Indicator.
Probably best stuck high on the screen in front of the driver.

Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 20 at 07:47
Originally posted by gregozedobe gregozedobe wrote:

Mine was most noticeable at start-up, but if I sat idling for a while (eg at lights) I would also get a whiff of exhaust fumes.

Thanks Greg.
 Post Reply Post Reply