The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Tech
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Melting connectors in Fuse Box Terminals

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monster LT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Melting connectors in Fuse Box Terminals
    Posted: 26 Feb 20 at 10:38
Two connectors melted at the back of the relay plate. Position H3 & H6. H3 runs to the Glow Plug relay 102 and H6 comes from the large wiring loom. Both are thick red wires. H6 was worse on inspection. The plastic connector housings are very close together.
I cycled the glow plugs about 6 times or more before starting up as it was cold. Maybe that could be the cause?... but the stink continued while the engine was running and I'd expect it to stop heating once the glow plug light goes out.
Other possibles...
- I recently changed the alternators voltage regulator. Maybe a loose connection or the new voltage regulator is the issue. It's rated at 14.7V and gives about 14.4V max to the volt meter plugged into the cigarette lighter.
- Alternator wire sheath is looking a bit melted, noticed a while back, and copper is looking oxidised at the battery end. 

I'm not sure where the wire to H6 comes from / goes to or if I'll need to replace it entirely or just trim it a few cm's to an unburnt part and crimp on new connector. The other wire H3 to Glow plug relay wll be entirely replaced as it's short.

Any ideas what's the likely cause??? Should I replace the alt wire?...
LT45-TD-ACL-intercooler-4x4-1993
LTCamper89 View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 20 at 12:36
In the CFDs Hx all appear to go to 30. I will look tonight for which component each H goes.
1989 LT28 2.4D    Saviour of 6Music, well one of them. Now playing http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/bbc_6music

VW LT Camper not Cramper

....at least the roof is not rusting away....
Monster LT View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monster LT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 20 at 16:17
Thanks LTCamper89
Of the two burnt connectors H6 is coming direct from the battery. It's made of two thick red cables each maybe 4-5mm2 with jackets attached together. CFD says the cable should be 10mm2. It's not shorted to earth. Resistance between the two ends is 0Ohms. Same type of red cables from H3 to glow plug relay. Relay seems to be ok, contacts not welded together. Maybe connectors at H6 couldn't handle the repeated cycling of the glow plugs?

Edited by Monster LT - 26 Feb 20 at 21:16
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monster LT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 20 at 21:45
Trying to fix this has given me a problem. I cannot find a female 9.5mm spade connector & housing that will take the specified 10mm2 cable from the battery. I need something like this housing complete with female connector and insulation: part no. 521053-1

2nd I don't understand why this cable from the batt to H on the relay plate is made of 2 seperate wires that connect together at each terminal. Is it aftermarket or VW? Is there any benefit to having 2 thin ner cables running together instead of 1 thick cable?

Maybe the melt was caused by dud glow plugs? Increased resistance = increased heat to cables?

Edited by Monster LT - 27 Feb 20 at 21:50
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monster LT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 20 at 12:31
The two wire set-up looks to be original VW. I took a look at my friends LT and it's the same. I'm still having trouble finding 9.5mm female blade terminals and insulator housings like those VW used. They are now obsolete.
Also if a glow plug was not working it would not create so much heat in the wiring - correct? Trying to understand why the terminal housings melted.
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monster LT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 20 at 10:38
Problem solved: with the cables stripped back a few inches or replaced and melted terminals / covers  replaced, everything is now fine - no melting or over-heating. Moral of the story.... do not cycle your glow plugs more than a couple of times max!
 Post Reply Post Reply