The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Switch panel + fuse box?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chatlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Switch panel + fuse box?
    Posted: 15 Feb 20 at 21:47

Hi All

Finally got around to fitting my leisure battery and Victron VSR today. Quick test, all good. Next step is hooking up my led lights. I have got a fuse box (with negative bar) and just received a switch panel.

I'm scratching my head because the panel came pre-wired and includes inline fuses for each switch. My plan was to connect the main +/- on switch panel to my leisure battery and earth, the connect led + to switch 1 + and led - to earth.

Am I right in thinking the above will work ok and there's no need for the fuse box I have already? Or is there a better way to set this up, using both?

Thanks

Charlie Dog View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 20 at 07:40
Originally posted by chatlow chatlow wrote:

Hi All

Finally got around to fitting my leisure battery and Victron VSR today.  Which VCR have you bought?

Quick test, all good. 

Next step is hooking up my led lights. 

I have got a fuse box (with negative bar What's a "negative bar"?

and just received a switch panel. 

I'm scratching my head because the panel Which panel came pre-wired and includes inline fuses for each switch.  Sensible.

My plan was to connect the main +/- on switch panel to my leisure battery and earth, the connect led + to switch 1 + and led - to earth.

Am I right in thinking the above will work ok Should do, except LEDs can be fitted backwards

and there's no need for the fuse box I have already?  Depends.  I need more info.

Or is there a better way to set this up, using both? Do you want to showcase smart-anus or look like you know what you are on at.

Thanks

Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 20 at 04:01
I'll take a punt in the dark.
Rather than let you go away empty handed.

You need a fuse in one of the wires 
that take power away from the battery.
That fuse must be as close as poss to the battery.
That fuse could be in either 
the live wire or the earth wire.
Live wire fuses are normal.

As you have fuses in your switches, use them.

I can't see a use for your fuse box.

Unless you have lights in your switch panel,
I cannot see a reason to earth it.
chatlow View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chatlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 20 at 08:50
@charlie dog

What is a VCR? Do you mean VSR? In which case - my post says Victron - its the Cyrix CT model from simplysplitcharge.
...Let me know what you need...
Negative bar is a block you connect to an earthing point and it's daisy chained so many other connections can you it. Ease of use and less earth points needed. Fuse box i have has negative bar also. 2 in 1

Panel is a 5-gang of Amazon. Pre-wired (16 AWG wire) with 15A fuses in each. Again, connections are daisy chained so power works for all LEDs and battery display when connected

In a nutshell, I just want to know if the fuses are required on the panel side, given I will be connecting this panel to my main fuse box (that's connected to the leisure battery)?

Plan of action - connect leisure battery to fuse box with 10mm2 wiring. Connect fuse box negative to earth point. Connect panel + and - to fuse box
Connect + from lights to + switch 1 on panel and - from lights to negative block.

Other connections are easier, just the lights I'm curious about as they are being switched
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 20 at 09:33
Originally posted by chatlow chatlow wrote:

@charlie dog

What is a VCR? Do you mean VSR? Yes In which case - my post says Victron - its the Cyrix CT  model from simplysplitcharge. 
...Let me know what you need... That very kind of you, 25 quid will do nicely :o)
Negative bus bar is a block you connect to an earthing point and it's daisy chained  so many other connections can you it. Ease of use and less earth points needed. Fuse box i have has negative bar also. 2 in 1 Y

Panel is a 5-gang of Amazon. Pre-wired (16 AWG wire) with 15A fuses in each. Again, connections are daisy chained so power works for all LEDs and battery display when connected

In a nutshell, I just want to know if the fuses are required on the panel side, given I will be connecting this panel to my main fuse box (that's connected to the leisure battery)?
Much as I said before,
you need a fuse in the lead from battery to switch panel, 
then use the fuses in the switch panel.
Plan of action - connect leisure battery to fuse box with 10mm2 wiring. Connect fuse box negative to earth point. Connect panel + and - to fuse box
Connect + from lights to + switch 1 on panel and - from lights to negative block.

Other connections are easier, just the lights I'm curious about as they are being switched
chatlow View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chatlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 20 at 09:47
"you need a fuse in the lead from battery to switch panel, 
then use the fuses in the switch panel."

the battery is not connected to the switch panel.
the battery connects to fuse box (via a fuse), then the switch panel connects to fuse box (via a 2-way switch in case I don't want it live all the time)
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 20 at 13:03
:o)
 Post Reply Post Reply