The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Engine Upgrades
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

AAZ Glow Plug Circuitry

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adez389 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AAZ Glow Plug Circuitry
    Posted: 04 Feb 20 at 10:51
Hi all,

Apologies this seems to be covered and queried a lot, but I have not got to the bottom of it on my van through reading many different threads on a whole load of forums and facebook page posts.

Background of the van:

I believe it started life as a 2.1 petrol. It now has a (poorly) fitted AAZ engine by a previous owner, which has been successfully powering it for me for the last 5 years (not too bad tbf). The clocks are diesel with the glowplug light etc.

My wiring problems as follows: (the wiring in the engine bay is a mess, brittle and broken wires, various 2 pin connectors that weren't connected to anything, presumably from a redundant engine loom, I've corrected most of this with new cable lengths and connectors along with continuity checks where I can)

blue/white temperature sensor cable from glow plug relay has never been connected to anything. It has continuity back to the relay holder, and has a 4.6v constant live when ignition is on (presumably from the relay, but why this low voltage??) is this voltage correct? One problem I have is I cannot find a temp sensor anywhere on the engine to connect it up to. When I connect it to earth, there is no change to anything I can see (I though this would trick the relay into a hightemp reading and switch off the glowplug circuit/warning light).

yellow wire is connected to a white oil pressure switch in the head https://www.brickwerks.co.uk/oil-pressure-switch-white.html This has no constant voltage when ignition is on, and does nothing if given 12v, so I don't understand what it is actually supposed to be doing? Perhaps there is a fuse somewhere I should check?

red/yellow wire is connected to a temp sensor in the coolant (this does have a 12v reading)

blue/black wire goes to a blue temperature sensor on the oil filter housing.

Some questions:

1) Can anybody confirm (with pictures preferably) where the blue/white wire is connected on their AAZ? Should it connect to an oil, air or temperature sensor?

2) Do you get 4.6V along the blue/white cable? Should the relay turn off if blue/white is earthed, and if yes, why might it not? duff relay?

3) What is the purpose of the white oil pressure sensor (yellow cable) and how can it's function be checked? (I think its got something to do with an oil pressure warning/buzzer circuitry?)

Many thanks all!
 Post Reply Post Reply