The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Tech
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

LT1 Blower Motor Change?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Vanorak
Vanorak
Arriba! Yii-hah!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: LT1 Blower Motor Change?
    Posted: 18 Jan 20 at 14:06

Anybody changed the blower motor on a LT1?

Mines making a racket now. It’s been making a squeal for a while, but has now started to make a horrible noise!

Got a motor here, so interested if anybody has ever changed one. Thumbs Up
Back in the slow lane, yeah!
Buss Marius View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buss Marius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 20 at 18:10
I bought mine from Brickwerks. It is a little bit of job, takes a few hours. Does not require anny spesial Tools.
87 Karmann LT L 2,4D. 89 T3 Syncro Reimo 1,9TD. 2000 T4 Caravelle TDI
Chappy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
Arriba! Yii-hah!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 20 at 21:40

All done now!

Had a day of it on Saturday: changed the lower bracket on the sliding door, replaced the handbrake rubber gaiter/bellows (no more water in the battery tray), and replaced the blower motor.

Apart from cutting a finger on my right hand down to the bone, while drilling out an old snapped bolt on the sliding door, it all went well!!

For those wanting to know about replacing the blower motor: it was actually relatively straight forward.

1. loosen the 10mm bolts that secure the blower assembly to the cab floor.
2. gently prise off the metal clips that secure the upper and lower parts of the blower assembly together.
3. go round front of van - pop off headlamp surrounds and remove centre grille.
4. use a flat screwdriver to gently bend tabs on blower intake grille (behind vehicle front grille) and remove blower grille.
5. inside vehicle - remove the previously loosened bolt.
6. outside - gently push the lower section of the blower assembly to break the grip of the seal between it and the cab floor.
7. inside, wiggle the lower part of the blower assembly away from the upper section. The whole lower section will come free, leaving the upper section in place under the dash.
8. the lower section contains the motor and fan, so disconnect the wire to the motor and take to the bench.
9. unclip the old motor and removed the motor and fan from housing.
10. gently drift the fan off the old motor spindle (place it in a vice with the motor hanging down and use a punch and mallet to gently drift it out.
11. drift fan onto new motor (available from Brickwerks)
12. reinstall motor and fan to housing, using long nose pliers to reinstall retaining clips.
13. reinstall to vehicle in reverse order (don't forget to reconnect wire to the motor!). The vent flaps should be placed in the lower part of the housing during reinstallation - with the control arm pointing forwards. Just make sure it turns freely before getting it all back together.

Having removed my old motor, I'm surprised it ran at all - it was only just possible to turn the shaft. It must have been drawing a load of current - lucky it didn't melt the switch!

Back in the slow lane, yeah!
 Post Reply Post Reply