The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT2 and sprinter forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Lt 28 2.5 tdi power steering clunky

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cornwall87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lt 28 2.5 tdi power steering clunky
    Posted: 02 Jan 20 at 15:21
Afternoon all, my power steering has now decided that its clunky, it gets power assist and then its clunky and really hard to steer. Its almost lumpy?

Yesterday just sat in my parking spot, the steering was fine, no issues, then today we pulled out from behind a parked car and the lumpy clunky steering happened.

Power steering fluid is fine, no leaks, the pump stays the same temperature as the rest of the engine. There's an inner joint knock but its always been there.

I'm actually losing my patience with the van now!!

Simon 
SWB VW LT 28 2.5TDI
Cornwall87 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cornwall87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 20 at 16:21
The pump seems to be pumping fluid well, no leaks.

Simon 
SWB VW LT 28 2.5TDI
mojo View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 20 at 17:27
First thing I'd check is the condition of the belt and tensioner, could be belt slip. Then check for any damage to the metal pipework on the steering system.
2006 LT35 TDI 109 AVR
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cornwall87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 20 at 13:47
Tension on the belt is good, nice and tight, all the pipes looks great.
Its almost notchy, like its getting stuck, possibly the steering column steering joints? 
I'll get someone to steer the van and I'll have a look at the joints at the move. 
Its mainly when its steering to the left, it gets solid then it's ok. But its not feeling safe to drive.

Thanks for your help again mate 
SWB VW LT 28 2.5TDI
tellytubby View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tellytubby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 20 at 22:56
First thing that comes to mind given your brake saga that was finally solved by a wheel bearing...

Does it have the right power steering fluid in it?

Your van has clearly had a chequered maintenance history so you can't assume even the basics are right. 

I would put the front up on axle stands and disconeect the track rod ends and check for any problems in the suspension joints or any fouling from body parts etc. If all seems ok reconnect the track rod ends and check the steering linkage for play and if that's ok then change the fluid.

After that it gets into part swapping.

TT
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cornwall87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 20 at 16:35
Thank you for your reply!
I checked the steering fluid, it looks like it used to bed red? 
It's a bit rusty coloured.
The universal joints were all clunky causing tight spots, I've spray greased them for now, but I think they'll need a rebuild kit. 

Thanks for persevering with me and this van lol 

Simon
SWB VW LT 28 2.5TDI
tellytubby View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tellytubby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 20 at 17:58
That may well be the wrong stuff.  The red fluid is often mineral based  ( though there can be exceptions) and you should be using synthetic.  Green would be more likely.

Might be worth a replacement...

TT
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cornwall87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 20 at 14:12
Brilliant thanks, would it have caused any damage?

Simon
SWB VW LT 28 2.5TDI
 Post Reply Post Reply