The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Tech
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2004 LT35 Brake Bias/Regulator Valve

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phaeton_Buggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2004 LT35 Brake Bias/Regulator Valve
    Posted: 12 Nov 19 at 20:48
Folks I have searched & all the posts I have found seem to relate to an older type of valve than the one on my sons truck (I think). His is not seized when we press down on the brake pedal the valve arm moves out, the spring & arm is not tight so we need to sort that, but even if we fasten the valve closed with tie wraps so it can't move we still don't have a very good pedal with long travel. Any thoughts, only just bought it so very little experience this these.
mojo View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 19 at 00:24
The spring and arm should be loose until you have some weight in the back. I'd start with a brake fluid flush and renew. It helped with mine when my brakes started feeling a bit dull. Is the long pedal travel when driving normally or idling, if it's just when idling mine does it to, but braking is fine. Do a search 'diesel brake pedal creep'.
You can do the usual tests for master cylinder and servo. Pump pedal with engine off - should go hard, (which indicates the master cylider should be good) keep foot on pedal, switch engine on - pedal should sink somewhat (which indicates vacuum is working and servo should be good). Brake fluid is the best place to start especially if you don't know when it was changed last.
Is it a long wheel base van and do you know the engine code of the vehicle? ie ANJ, AVR, BBE. You can find it on the inside of the fuse board cover on the steering column.
2006 LT35 TDI 109 AVR
Phaeton_Buggy View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phaeton_Buggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 19 at 08:26
@mojo Thank you for your reply, he's bringing the truck down on Saturday so I'll know a bit more then, it is the long wheelbase Sorry not sure of the engine code, it's the 2.8 Brazilian 158bhp if that makes any sense to you. I think the pedal is long all the time from what he says 
Phaeton_Buggy View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phaeton_Buggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 20 at 19:00
Just coming back to this, changed the regulator on the back axle for a new Bosch one, but still no better. Engine off pump pedal  goes hard, start engine & pedal creeps to the floor, when driving you have to be careful as there will be no emergency stops. So everything seems to point to the servo part of the circuit, if we pull the pipe off the servo we can hear it sucking air into the pipe. 

Anyone got a spare known good servo we can borrow around Sheffieldish area?
 Post Reply Post Reply