The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Battery drain fuse 3 HELP

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catbez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Battery drain fuse 3 HELP
    Posted: 25 Oct 19 at 00:16
 Fuse 3 = j519????

Ok I’ve just bought a t5 (2004) and straight away I noticed the horn doesn’t work... next morning I come to it and the battery is totally dead! Jump it and runs fine all day and then drained again over night. I’ve pin pointed it down to fuse 3 (which on my card said horn) so I removed it and hey presto it didn’t drain over night. So I jump in put my window down and the next min my window goes back up, the van locks, I have no indicators, no interior light and all this I notice while driving.... I’ve researched abit with good old google and it’s pointing towards a problem with the onboard power supply unit (j519??) now that does make sense as it’s losing a lot of stuff just by pulling that one fuse... my question is... is there anyway of having the j519 tested? Recoded? What are my options. Thankful for any advise 

T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 19 at 09:21
It sounds like the J519 is faulty.  It's not the most reliable of things.  It supplies current to the horn amongst other things.    You can't recode it to cure current drain you just have to replace it.  You could do with access to VCDS because you will have to code it to the same code as your van has now.

If you don't have cruise control already you could  use the chance to upgrade the J519 to one that supports it and fit the cruise control switch/kit (or get someone else to) then it won't feel such a waste because they aren't cheap.  Or get a second hand one on Ebay.  The discarded non-cruise versions should be cheaper if you don't care about CC.  Have a look at this if you haven't already seen it.  http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/onboard-voltage-supply-unit-j519_topic92128.html

Welcome btw.  Smile

Edited by T5 TDI - 25 Oct 19 at 09:22
2004 2.5 174
 Post Reply Post Reply