The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Tech
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Problem with key ignition switch

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Problem with key ignition switch
    Posted: 24 Sep 19 at 16:56
Hi, I got some ignition switch problems with my VW LT31 -79 2.0 CH.

I recently noticed that there is something wrong with the key ignition switch.
As you can see in the linked video below, nothing will happen when I turn the key the last turn/step - unless I push it down. If I test with my spare key. It wont turn the starter, even though I'm pushing down the key before I turn it.

So to clarify. The Car starts, but only if I press the key down once Im turning the key. I have not been like this before.
Why does it work when I press the key down and not when I'm just turning it?

Please, check the video SmileSmileSmile. Thanks!

Monster LT View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monster LT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 19 at 20:34
The vid is set to private. You need to make it public...
LT45-TD-ACL-intercooler-4x4-1993
lax View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 19 at 01:53
Fixed, thanks!
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monster LT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 19 at 11:05
Could be the ignition switch located under the lock barrel. Maybe you can pop it out and clean it with some wd-40 or a proper contact cleaner. WD-40 or better to use lock lube down the keyhole of the barrel. If that doesnt fixed it.. cheap to replace switch 7-10quid. Otherwise barrel maybe worn or the end may have snapped - Replace barrel. Take it apart and have a look. Shouldn't be too complicated. This vid shows you what to expect https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PcBuOn7d6I
ignition/starter switch, part number

171 905 865 

Edited by Monster LT - 25 Sep 19 at 12:01
lax View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 19 at 23:12
Thanks for the reply.
If the barrel is worn, then I need to get new keys also? Is it possible to maybe wire a start button. Like, turning the key (ignition on) then press the button instead of turning the key all the way?
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monster LT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 19 at 01:44
Yes. It's been done. Met someone recently who had that set up on his LT when he bought it. He changed it back to original key ignition. I think it was just push button so no other key needed. If you want I can pass on your contact. Maybe he still has all the bits. Not sure if it'd retain the steering lock feature though.
If you simply replace the barrel then of course it has new keys.

Edited by Monster LT - 26 Sep 19 at 01:54
 Post Reply Post Reply