The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Tech
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rust around the windcscreen -LT31

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveSt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rust around the windcscreen -LT31
    Posted: 23 Sep 19 at 23:29
I am getting two, increasingly larger, puddles on the floor on both driver and passenger side when it rains.
Looking from the inside I can see the corrosion that is causing this. I thought a careful application of Geocel sealant MIGHT make the problem go away for a while - I particularly wanted to stop the water dripping on the the wiper motor - no such luck.
So I am now planning on removing the glass and seeing what can be done to repair the metal-work. This will doubtless involve me in finding a person who is good with a welding torch as my skills in this department are non-existent.
Looking at post from a few years back
It would appear the removal has to be with care and replacement screens are no more - IS THIS CORRECT.
and
Does anyone have any recommendations for a welding person in the SW-London Surrey/Kent/North Hants area.

LT31 1991 2.4 TD Florida Westphalia • Honda ST1100 • Ford Tourneo Connect
Beetroot2 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beetroot2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 20 at 13:42
check your indicators too! My were running water in as the seals had gone 
nooberdoober View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nooberdoober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 20 at 17:01
depending on what you find when you take the windscreen out, you may find that its not so severe and that you can do a decent bit of work with just a grinder, rust convertor and some fibre glass filler, body filler and paint. Ive seen some that are really bad and some that can easily be fixed for 5 years with the above. If you are gonna weld it then so much the better but you don't have to. You can get screens from breakers. You do have to be careful. transporting it and fitting it. Buy some sucker pads and get a two mates to help you place and fit it. buy new rubber for it, this is still available and I've heard some people say that they've even had replacement screens from the main windscreen fitters but not as far as I know. I used some thin gauge but fairly strong electrical wire to thread the windscreen rubber and to aid you pulling in all into place. the most important bit is to choose somewhere dry to do it all and to make sure that you get some wax oil mixed with a bit of duck oil to spray up into the cavity behind the dash area behind whatever fix you intend to do so that it has a chance to not begin rusting too quickly from the backside. And yeah, as above check your indicators.
I got me a 2.4 straight Six......and it's a soundin JUICY!

1984 LT40 2.4 petrol Coachbuilt Autotrail Motorhome
nooberdoober View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nooberdoober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 20 at 17:03
and yeah if you are using your old windscreen, then use a sharp scalpel to completely cut the old rubber in such a way that the screen comes out with least drag possible. They break super easy at this stage otherwise. I cut mine inside and out so as to be sure it was free enough to lift out with no hitches.
I got me a 2.4 straight Six......and it's a soundin JUICY!

1984 LT40 2.4 petrol Coachbuilt Autotrail Motorhome
 Post Reply Post Reply