The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Engine Upgrades
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1988 Syncro Engine Upgrade

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SyncroSid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1988 Syncro Engine Upgrade
    Posted: 22 Sep 19 at 11:45
So,

I bought a 1988 syncro a couple months back, and i have now driven it for a few thousand kilometers. It has not exactly gone well. The van has a 1997 1.9 L TD from a VW Vento, which leaks like a stuck pig and has had several problems, so i'd like to swap the engine for something else.

Obviously taking another 90s 1.9 L TD is an easy swap, but the engine seems a little under powered (it puts out about 70 bhp) so this seems like a good opportunity to put something a bit more powerful in. What is an easy engine swap for the vehicle? Welding new engine mounts isnt a big problem, but obviously if i can get an engine that mounts up to the gearbox without an adapter plate, that would be easiest.

The dream would be to do the subaru conversion, but converting a diesel to petrol, and doing all the work is something i cant afford and dont have the time for at the moment, so what would you suggest as a easy engine conversion that has a little bit more power than the present arrangement.

Thanks in advance!
 Post Reply Post Reply