The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Non cranking when hot

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stinkyfinger1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Non cranking when hot
    Posted: 13 Aug 19 at 14:42
2004 2.5tdi 130 up mini bus. After the engine has warmed up, if we stop to fill up the engine can’t turn over, it’s like the battery is dead. If we wait 10 to 15 minutes it’s like there is full power from the battery and the engine starts no problem. Was told that it was the battery, so replaced it. Problem is still there. Any suggestions?
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 19 at 15:34
Could be the earth lead.  Follow it down from the battery to the top starter motor bolt.  Look out for loose or corroded connectors. Do the same for the positive lead.  Failing that it could be the starter motor itself.  They don't always fail when cold although that is more common.  I got about 12 years 100k miles out of mine.  They work harder than you think, I got 21,000 starts out of it. Thumbs Up

2004 2.5 174
stinkyfinger1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stinkyfinger1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 19 at 19:53
Okay dokay. I’ll start disconnecting each of the big cables and see what transpires. I’ll keep you informed re any success or failure. Yeh it was annoying when we stopped to fill up. One of the first times it happened we were luckily there was a car workshop behind the filling station. The wife talked to a mechanic, he came out with his emergency starter thingy and £10 out of pocket later the bus started no problem. All this must have taken 15 minutes. All the other times it happened we waited about 10 to 15 minutes and brum it started no problem. So fingers crossed it is something as non costly as corroded connections and not changing the starter motor.
 Post Reply Post Reply