Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Tech help
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

AAZ Pump Leak Question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Vanorak
Vanorak
Arriba! Yii-hah!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AAZ Pump Leak Question
    Posted: 11 Aug 19 at 22:10

Evening all,

After investigating a strong smell of diesel, I’ve found a leak in the fuel pump.

It’s dripping from the lower rear of the pump, under where the injection pipes connect. 

There is a small black plastic cover (approx the size of a 10 pence piece), which has an electrical lead coming from it (not used).

Any idea what this cover is? What’s behind the cover? Can it be re-sealed etc

Or is there anything else in that area that typically can cause leaks?

It’s a pretty hefty leak - dripping at a rate of 1 drop every 3 seconds at idle.

Back in the slow lane, yeah!
Chappy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
Arriba! Yii-hah!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 19 at 19:40

So, any thoughts then peeps? 

danstervan View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danstervan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 19 at 21:52
Without a pic it is difficult to accurately identify what part you are talking about.
Late AAZ pumps have a few extra bits as they moved into the electronic era just before TDIs.
IIRC the late AAZ pumps have a lift sensor of some sort on the pump head (rather than on the injector as per TDI) that indicates commencement of injection.
There is also another part in the area you describe that I understand might tweak timing advance.
Both of these parts may be tied in to some sort of circuitry to enhance emission control during the engine warm up period.
Fairly certain both will have some kind of gasket / sealing washer / O ring where they mate to the pump so it should be easy enough to replace them once we actually identify where your leak is coming from.
Chappy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
Arriba! Yii-hah!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 19 at 22:51

I’ll see if I can get some video or pics over the next couple of days to help illustrate things a bit 👍🏻
Chappy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
Arriba! Yii-hah!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 19 at 15:10

Took another look. It’s leaking from between the pump body and the delivery valves plate.

Leaking at one drop per second. At the very least we’re  going to need to remove the pump, so may fit a 1y pump that I have spare in the meantime.

It’s actually a 1Y engine with a turbo and with an AAZ pump. It did have a 1Y pump fitted originally, and ran really well, but the head was damaged during glow plug removal, which necessitated a head rebuild and we ended up fitting the AAZ pump during post rebuild trouble shooting.
 Post Reply Post Reply