The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

T5.1 Battery Change Now No Electrics At All

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peepingheads Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: T5.1 Battery Change Now No Electrics At All
    Posted: 28 Jul 19 at 21:24
Hello

I have a 2013 T5.1 Transporter and it has been parked up for about 6 weeks while I used my other van.

Last week the battery was flat, not sure why it went flat but given its the original battery I just thought it had given up, so I ordered another.

Before the other arrived I tried to charge the battery and it did take a little charge, the alarm and hazard lights came on, and off and the central locking worked with the key remote, radio said Low Battery etc.

The new battery arrived so I fitted it, I have had the battery out in the past a couple of times for other reasons, split charge installation etc. and to check the location and condition of the large fuses below the battery tray, so I know how to change and handle the battery.

The new battery is fully charged and test with a battery gauge so its not the battery.

Problem is, with the new battery connected, all fuses below the battery tray, in the box on the battery tray and in the panel under the cup holders on the dash tested and checked to be good, nothing blown anywhere, I can't trace power beyond the battery connection to the large fuse panel, there is no power anywhere... so nothing comes on, no alarm, no dash lights, interior lights nothing, as if the battery is not connected...

Any clues? 

Got to leave the van for a couple of weeks again now, battery is currently disconnected. 

This van is more than I am used to, can rebuild a beetle or a T2 but there is just so many more wires and tech I might have to give up.

Ta.
T4 Caravelle 2.4D 1992 / T3 Joker Hi-Top 1.6TD 1989 / LT28 Reimo 2.4D 1985 / Piaggio Ape50 2007
gregozedobe View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 19 at 05:31
Simplest explanation could be a faulty main fuse that looks OK visually but isn't passing current to the rest of the circuits.  Check for continuity.  If power is arriving at the large fuse panel but not going anywhere then the problem must be there.  Is there a relay involved in power distribution ?

Another possibility is broken wire from the battery or fuses ?  ie it looks OK, but inside the insulation (where you can't see it) there is a break in the conductor.  I assume with all the fiddling around taking batteries in and out you have been moving wires and connections quite a bit, so could have broken something.  Check earth side wires as well (people often forget about the "other half" of a circuit).

Another possibility is that you have the polarity wrong on the new battery ie +ve terminal connected to earth circuit (unlikely, but worth checking carefully as  different batteries can be made with posts reversed to what your van takes).

Keep looking and work methodically from the battery forward, without forgetting earth side circuits, it shouldn't be too hard to narrow down the culprit as you have a highly visible fault (intermittent faults can be much harder to diagnose & fix)

Edited by gregozedobe - 29 Jul 19 at 05:33
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 19 at 08:35
Make sure the new battery is not a dud!  (12.7v min)

Make sure the small wire on the live side of the battery is still connected.

Try connecting a jump lead from the earth pole of the battery to a good earth on the engine. 

After that it's down to just following the current.  I can't think of a single fuse that would kill all power so the new battery or its connections sound more likely to me. Good luck!

Edited by T5 TDI - 29 Jul 19 at 23:00
2004 2.5 174
Charlie Dog View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 19 at 14:56
 I can't trace power beyond the battery connection to the large fuse panel,

My I suggest you change that fuse :o)

Also, may I suggest you get yourself a Ctek MXS5.0 charger.
Or similar.
For when you are away

Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 19 at 15:18
Hmmm,

Peepingheads   Last visit:  29 Jul 19 at 09:16

So Glenn waited for less than an hour to see if anyone had a helpful suggestion, didn't get a quick enough response and hasn't been seen since.  

It's no wonder that these days I'm getting less and less likely to help anyone here except the regulars :(  (or maybe I'm just getting to be a grumpy old man more and more - I'm certainly not getting any younger)

Edited by gregozedobe - 07 Aug 19 at 15:20
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 19 at 15:33
I've seen you on TV haven't I?

You're Victor Meldrew aren't you :o)

Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 19 at 02:43
There may be a slight resemblance, just possibly ;)
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 19 at 06:06
Smile
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 19 at 08:47
I've certainly got grumpier as I've got older.  Mind you, six weeks ago I had a heart attack, I wouldn't recommended it as a grumpiness cure but it certainly puts a few things back in order of importance!   
2004 2.5 174
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 19 at 09:05
I used to have a job where I had to have a medical every so often.
The medical involved the quack sticking things all over me, and then tearing them off with an evil glint in his eye.

One day, I asked him if it gave him any idea of things to come.
"No," he says, "It only tells me if you've had a heart attack."

Put in perspective a bit, any of us could have had one and not know.

Grumpier, the only advice I know is keep your missus happy Big smile

"Happy Wife - Happy Life"
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 19 at 16:04
In my case, my GP did that test, the ambulance crew kept me monitored and the hospital did it again as I arrived - all negative.  So that isn't a guaranteed test.  They do a blood test to be certain which looks for enzymes a stressed heart gives off.  I agree that is quite possible that many people are walking about having had heart attacks.  

Almost every man I met in the cardiac ward had written off the chest pain as a pulled muscle or indigestion as I did, I never even went to the GP until the following day (when my wife made me!) because I felt ok again.

It depends on how bad it is but most people do actually survive a first heart attack, but a cardiac arrest (where the heart actually stops beating) is very different.  If it is suffered outside a hospital environment, it claims 95% of victims.

The reason I'm saying all this is that I'm a 62 year old non smoker, not fat, always exercised, keep fairly fit and eat a non junk food diet.  I have no family history whatsoever of heart problems and yet it happened to me.  It could be that if the GP hadn't ignored the clear ECG and sent me off to hospital anyway I could have gone on until the real biggie got me.  

It's really important not to ignore any chest pain chaps especially if it doesn't go away at rest and if it travels into either arm, neck, back, shoulders or jaw.  Sudden sweating is another symptom.  It doesn't have to be all of these symptoms either.  I took paracetamol and went to bed!  But it's a really common thing for blokes to have this daft reaction as I found out.  Don't say I didn't warn ya all!  With chest pain, dial 999 and let them decide.      

Edited by T5 TDI - 08 Aug 19 at 16:08
2004 2.5 174
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 19 at 16:19
Spot On Advice Sir.

Get the cavalry in the moment the winch straps start tightening.

Err, have you heard of a silent heart attack?
No winch straps doesn't mean no heart attack?

A friend, about 10 years younger than you, felt unwell,
He set out to walk to his doctors.
He never made it.
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 19 at 09:22
I've heard the term 'silent heart attack' but I thought it just meant unrecognised heart attack.  I think you must feel some kind of pain/pressure if an artery is restricted enough but people just don't realise what it is.  

I just googled it and it is more or less what I had.  I don't think it is a medical term as such.  It's like 'Widow maker' for the more common left main artery blockage.  
2004 2.5 174
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 19 at 09:34
Try googling 
"In some cases, a heart attack can occur without any symptoms."
Peepingheads View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peepingheads Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 19 at 08:20
How dull, you must have nothing else to do.

Just been away for nearly four weeks in my Fire Engine.

Stick to the regulars, don't offer to help and then you don't need to send rude replies.

T5, well, no idea why there was no power, I removed and reconnected all cables to the under battery fuse panel, all fuses good and simply reinstalled, not replaced. Refitted the battery and power returned, So, nothing changed and I can think of no reason why there was no power.

Think I will leave the forum now, not been much use to me over the years, another dead place on the web.

Bye!
T4 Caravelle 2.4D 1992 / T3 Joker Hi-Top 1.6TD 1989 / LT28 Reimo 2.4D 1985 / Piaggio Ape50 2007
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 19 at 15:08
Hmm, not much appreciation for the suggestions you did get.  You had precisely one other post (which was you asking for help) in the last 12 months, so I don't think I'll miss your "contributions" much.

Please shut the door on your way out ....

Edited by gregozedobe - 15 Aug 19 at 15:11
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 19 at 09:41
Originally posted by Peepingheads Peepingheads wrote:

How dull, you must have nothing else to do.

Just been away for nearly four weeks in my Fire Engine.

Stick to the regulars, don't offer to help and then you don't need to send rude replies.

T5, well, no idea why there was no power, I removed and reconnected all cables to the under battery fuse panel, all fuses good and simply reinstalled, not replaced. Refitted the battery and power returned, So, nothing changed and I can think of no reason why there was no power.

Think I will leave the forum now, not been much use to me over the years, another dead place on the web.

Bye!

I don't get what your beef is.  You got two perfectly good replies.  Sorry if they weren't delivered fast enough for your liking.  

Four weeks in a fire engine is enough to send anyone over the edge!    
2004 2.5 174
 Post Reply Post Reply