The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > Syncro
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Help deciphering Syncro

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bnam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help deciphering Syncro
    Posted: 16 Jul 19 at 16:39
Hi!
I'm a new member from India. A friend just picked up a VW Syncro T3. These were never officially sold here and were typically private, consular, or govt imports.

The Syncro is RHD with a DJ code engine. My friend was wondering why the engine has carb instead of the FI he thought all DJ code engines came with. He asked my help in deciperhing the code.

As I looked up the info, somethings did not seem to fit together well. The manf plate and m-code sticker are both there.

Here's the data --

Manf plate:

Typ - 253 - 399 (this was confusing as it indicates a LHD with 1.6L TD engine)

Chassis number: WV2ZZZ25ZHG051167 (this shows up on one site as an 87 Combi 2WD). Go Westy says:
W - germany
V - VW
2 - MPV
Z - camper
Z - ?
Z - ?
25 - Vanagon
Z - check digit
H - 1987
G - Graz (normally for Syncro)

M-code sticker:
ENGINE CODE/Trans Code: DJ                 AAK
PAINT NO/INTERIOR: LH1B/LH9D               AK
M-options: DWZ HS8 018 183 187 343 545 573 999

THe paint (Bamboo yellow lower, white on top) and other options seem to match.
I did not get info on DWZ and HS8.

So, what's going on here? Is the manf ID consistent with a Syncro? There was also a T3 camper that did not have an engine. Wondering if the seller swapped plates with that van. Cars without papers cannot be sold here and plate swapping is common. Where would the chassis number be stamped on the van?

Thanks!
Byas

bnam View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bnam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 19 at 16:53
Edit - the Typ code should read 253- 299.
KrisG View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KrisG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 19 at 17:05
Chassisnumber  is stamped on the bottom, right side, on backside of the beam just after the front wheel.

Regards,
Kris
bnam View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bnam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 19 at 17:10
We're going to check that to confirm. But, pretty sure the plate has been swapped with a Westfalia plate. A shame. Both rare vehicles here. My friend knows the buyer of the Westy. Perhaps they can arrange a plate/paper swap.

On the syncro -- did a DJ engine only come with injection or was it also avail with carb?

What could the first 2 codes on the m-code list refer to? And, why isn't there a 4WD code?

Btw, body also has an oval Puch tag along with syncro sticker, raised ride ht etc.
bnam View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bnam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 19 at 17:37
We're still searching. My friend has come across RHD syncros in the UK with 253 as typ. Can someone confirm this is possible. I did notice that ZZZ could also be for syncro. And, the build location is Graz. So, it is possible it is correct plate.
KrisG View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KrisG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 19 at 19:33
In my opinion a DJ is always an injection motor.

Regards,
Kris
 Post Reply Post Reply