The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T4 Section. > T4 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

T4 2.5tdi Oil/Exhaust/turbo? Problem

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackBetty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: T4 2.5tdi Oil/Exhaust/turbo? Problem
    Posted: 15 Jul 19 at 22:34
Hey All - Long time lurker here until I finally took the dive and purchased Black Betty - But not in perfect Condition...

So here's the story...

Black Exhaust fumes on heavy acceleration. From what I can tell, the turbo still kicks in at the 50 - 70km/h area when I need it. No whistling noise or anything similar.
I have noticed oil collecting down behind the dipstick and filler areas. 

Here's my process so far;

Firstly, a mechanic recommended that it might be the turbo or the diesel pump. Being a fairly handy, DIY-er, I've decided to check everything else possible first before forking out quite a bit of Euro to find out everything was still in good condition.

So firstly, changed the *air filter* as it was filthy from the previous owner and while doing that I noticed a huge chunk of the classic, t4 insulation had clogged the metal vent leading to the MAF - I got super excited as this might solve the black smoke. So I *replaced the MAF*.
Following along, I continued down and noticed another "classic" t4 problem - the air pipe connecting to the turbo has expanded so its not air tight. Placed a thicker O-Ring in and its now pretty snug - I wouldn't say completely sealed (but next step is to follow some advice read on here and do the hot water trick).
*Replaced most of the Vacuum tubes* that were nearing the end of their days - the rest are fine and still tight.
*Took off the EGR and completely cleaned it right out and replaced the two gaskets.* (From what I can tell, its functioning as it should be)
*Checked the Intercooler for leaks - None*
So far, the black smoke improved quite a bit, but I still have it on heavy acceleration - once again, it still does not feel as though I lose power (but it is new for me, so maybe I don't know yet what I am missing).

I have a few questions and, believe me, I have searched and searched the forum but hoping maybe someone can help me out with my dream wagon. 

1. While taking everything off, I could not find ANY oil at all around the Turbo - not from the oil connections, not from under it or around it - it is completely dry. If the turbo is the problem, where would it be losing oil? 
2. Also while everything was off, I checked the turbo fan - no movement or play. Spins freely. There was a small, thin layer of oil where the intercooler pipe connects to the turbo.
3. How much oil is "okay" in the entrance to the intercooler? I have read a little bit is normal, especially in older vehicles. 
4. The oil that keeps pooling near the dipstick and filler areas. It seems that possibly this is coming from the oil cooler/pump area and seeping out from the 
gasket/o-ring when the pressure is high. Does this sound correct? There is no pooling when left idling, but after a 20 min drive of "pushing it", there is a small pool in that area.
5. could this leak be linked to the black smoke? as there is some pressure loss in the "closed" system?

I understand quite a bit and have done a ton of research, only to find that other peoples solutions, dont solve my issues. Im really at the end of what it possibly could be (other that the turbo is the issue). So any help is very, very, very much appreciated. 

Black Betty!
BlackBetty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackBetty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 19 at 22:35
oh, and its the ACV engine :)
ob1 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

FOUND IT, IT WAS HIDING!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ob1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 19 at 14:36
Hello... 

Is it over filled with oil? Had it been mapped?
If both are no then I’d check a) fuel pump timing - you’ll need VCDS if the timing is good b) finally a compression test
BlackBetty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackBetty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 19 at 12:04
Hey :) 
thanks for the reply - She's pretty new for me, but It has not been mapped and, at least when Ive checked it, the oil has always been at the same mark - which is really strange considering the pool down near the dip stick. 
Just yesterday the Orange oil started flashing 5 times before starting.... tried to research what this means and all I come up with is the sensor. Considering the other oil problems, I'm hesitant to just assume that is the issue.

I don't have VCDS, but I do have an OBD that has a couple features that seem to work on the VW and timing comes up with 0°.... although  sometimes it slips to 1° briefly and back to 0°. 
I will have to take it to a mechanic here for a proper read out - just hoping I can do as much myself before dropping a bunch of money for someone to experiment like I am

Post Reply Post Reply