The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Tech help
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Turbo oil return orientation. 1.6TD JX

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rob1927 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Turbo oil return orientation. 1.6TD JX
    Posted: 13 Jul 19 at 09:16
Hello all,could any one give advice on this, I've just had my turbo rebuilt its come back in fine fettle and I've bought new oil feed and return pipes.

I spoke to the place that sorted the turbo(turbo dynamics)and asked about the orientation of the oil feed outlet on the actual turbo when fitted and was told that it should point directly to the floor as its only gravity that lets the oil out. They weren't a hundred percent certain about these vans, but does this sound right?

Also, when i fit everything which way does the oil return go on(i think the old one was none t3)? Theres one end of the oil return which is braided metal, and the other end is metal pipe. Which end goes where?

Thanks,

Rob.
danstervan View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danstervan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 19 at 19:23
You could try googling "VW T3 turbo", then click images and you'll probably find pics showing the correct orientation.

I found this old thread with some decent discussion on turbo oil return issues.

http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/turbo-oil-return_topic70930_page1.html
rob1927 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rob1927 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 19 at 10:42
Cheers, its sorted now, i searched google images and couldn't find anything with a clear image of the original JX oil return. There were a few images of modified and home made oil returns but not the original JX.

Clift_d sent me a JX workshop manual pdf the other day which i should have checked first! Theres a drawing of the turbo and its pipework showing the S bend in the oil return goes to the sump and the other end to the turbo.

What was throwing me was the fact that the turbo housing needed rotating about 10mm in order for the pipe to fit, before  i rotated the housing it wouldn't fit for love nor money!

Cheers Smile

clift_d View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clift_d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 19 at 10:48
Originally posted by rob1927 rob1927 wrote:

Clift_d sent me a JX workshop manual pdf the other day which i should have checked first! Theres a drawing of the turbo and its pipework showing the S bend in the oil return goes to the sump and the other end to the turbo.

Thumbs Up

Edited by clift_d - 15 Jul 19 at 10:49
1988 1.6TD Westfalia Club Joker syncro
 Post Reply Post Reply