The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > The Brickyard > The Brickie's Arms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

T5 blower vent airflow newbie

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aldo6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: T5 blower vent airflow newbie
    Posted: 09 Jul 19 at 08:13
Hi, I'm new to ownership of a 2009 T5 and am learning rapidly .After experiencing poor blower airflow I took apart the heater controls and operated the cables manually noting all the cam and lever positions and still the airflow seems very low. The blower itself is roaring and I've removed the pollen filter and replaced its cover in case that was impeding flow. I will replace one of the cables with a solid one but has anyone any brainwave that may give me a clue as to what may be wrong.I live in the highlands so if any one knows if any genius up here who could help that would be great. Cant afford local dealer at £110/hr. Thanks in anticipation and sorry if I'm being thick.
gregozedobe View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 19 at 09:28
Is the fan slipping on the shaft of the motor ?  ie the motor is spinning merrily but the fan isn't going at the same speed.
aldo6 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aldo6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 19 at 15:02
Good idea although the air pressure at the filter if I stuck my fan up seems good. Will check this.thanks
aldo6 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aldo6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 19 at 16:07
That was meant to read "stuck my hand up". Could it be that the aircon evaporator is blocking flow.? Thanks for
reading this.
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 19 at 02:08
If the fan is spinning properly obviously there is a blockage somewhere.  I'd be suspicious of the vent control flaps not being in the correct position/s, but try removing the filter as well and see what happens.
aldo6 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aldo6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 19 at 07:44
Thanks Just to clarify ,I've removed  the filter , control panel and detached the cables .I did this to control the vents manually whilst noting their cam positions through the aperture where the glove box was removed. There is a blockage of course as next to no air arrives at the vents although I can hear movement if i Put my ear up to the face vents.I will now remove the blower motor and check the there is a clear path in and out of it and also that it spins the impeller efficiently.I might rig up an airline to see if that forces its way through.Cheers everyone
aldo6 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aldo6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 19 at 12:24
Hi again, I have solved the blower mystery. Feel daft but only to an extent. Someone I think has retrofitted a left hand drive blower motor and it goes backwards. I tried it first with croc clips and couldn't believe it. Luckily the plug can be forced in against its guide tabs the other way round. All is well now. Thanks for reading my rants everyone. I am now going to enjoy the van as it was making me tired and probably sucking in fumes.
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 19 at 13:36
Crazy problem, but glad you have it sorted now Thumbs Up
aldo6 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aldo6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 19 at 14:16
Thanks any clues on his Ti fix a flashing parking sensor switch? Does anyone know where the ecu for this is?
aldo6 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aldo6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 19 at 15:13
Hi .My T5 wallows around and I was considering new shocks any advice on make or type? Many thanks
rolla View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 19 at 17:58
I would replace front lower arm bushes, front&rear of arm, get solid MEYLE ones, for t32, or people advertise them as upgraded....
front top shock mounts probably seperated, so whilst your at the front lowers, take it all apart to inspect, just arm yourself with said bushes, then if you can fit them it'll be back on road in a few hours.. or so .... maybe lower front ball joints need doing ..? does it bang over speedbumps and potholes..??
Anti roll bar bushes too .... get solid drop links .... if it drives like shit after changing them, look deeper .... i ended up doing steering rack and track arms ... had coilovers and was on rails after i'd replaced the whole front basically .... haha Clown
Rears ... never got that far as mine have been okay ....

Post Reply Post Reply