The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT1 chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Air suspension

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote candymountains Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Air suspension
    Posted: 24 Jun 19 at 17:46
Anybody fitted supplementary air suspension to 28/31 ? Leaf springs a bit saggy and had to cut the dome off my spring assisters to give clearance for MOT. Seem to remember someone modified and fitted  a kit from eBay that was for a Vauxhall Movano I think. TIA

big rock candymountains
Chappy View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak
Arriba! Yii-hah!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 19 at 22:14

Funny about the leaf springs - they do have a sort of reverse profile.

I've heard of LT1 Florida owners being denied a MOT pass because the rear springs are 'weak' and deflected upwards where they are attached to the axle.

But in fact it's a feature of the design (I don't know why though).

Back in the slow lane, yeah!
BeJay View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeJay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 19 at 12:46
As Chappy says some MOT testers fail the springs for being weak without realising that they were designed to work that way, link below shows a page from the LT 1 owners manual.

NIL ILLIGITIMUS CARBORUNDUM
candymountains View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote candymountains Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 19 at 13:48
I know they are supposed to be like that as in look upside down but there was no clearance between the hard foam spring assisters mounted to the chassis and the axle. 
big rock candymountains
BeJay View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeJay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 19 at 21:38
 The way the text reads I read it as under full load (which your fully fitted florida can't be far off) the rubber buffer is part of the suspension design and will be in contact with the axle (no clearance, full load diagram appears to show contact as well).....just a thought.

"....with this type of spring the load causes the spring to bend considerably and the helper leaf and rubber or plastic buffer to come into effect progressively and alter the spring rate"

p.s. sorry just noticed it was Chappy mentioned a florida not you, but if yours is a camper and pretty close to its full load then the above still applies.

Edited by BeJay - 28 Jun 19 at 21:47
NIL ILLIGITIMUS CARBORUNDUM
candymountains View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote candymountains Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 19 at 22:08
Don't think that is right as one side still has clearance and the other not. Only a friendly MOT Inspector allowed it to pass as so long as I cut off top of foam assister. Not rubber buffer it is sold as spring assister. Even fully loaded these are only supposed to come in to play under severe load. Always have to have some clearance. I know I've bought enough over years. If anyone is interested the assisters are same part number as Caddy. But what I'm asking is someone on here has replaced the foam assisters with air bellows from another vehicle and so long as the bellows are connected to chassis and axle it's a MOT pass 

big rock candymountains
 Post Reply Post Reply