The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Tech help
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rear radius arm

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reiner Franz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rear radius arm
    Posted: 28 May 19 at 07:16
Hallo all you knowledgeable people out there - i have discovered a half crown siz
ed hole on the outside of my rear radius arm near the bush - can it be welded without destroying the bush - be kind and tell me it can - regards R
Reiner Franz
Titus A Duxass View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Titus A Duxass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 19 at 10:09
Sorry but I doubt it.
Bollocks to it all!!
51°24′N 12°52′E
Reabow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reabow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 19 at 18:40
You may find the hole is larger than it first appears.
The radius arm is pressed plate and some say you can weld it and others say not. 
The bush is quite tough you could give it a go because the alternative is arm replacement!

I have replaced both of my rusty radius arms on a 1980 T3 which became mot fails. Garages don't want to do this type of repair work.
I've always bought second hand good ones off eBay. Complete with bushes, drive shaft and  wheel hub/ drum brake attached if you can. so there's less work to do. Jack up and use axle stand. It's very hard to get the original arm bolts off and have needed to use a disc cutter. You also have to disconnect/reconnect driveshaft, brake pipes and hand brake cable. Make sure the drive shaft bolts are torqued up otherwise they will come loose. Also buy 2 new arm bolts with nuts/washers from JK or somewhere else if cheaper. It's quite a major job. Good luck.
Reiner Franz View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reiner Franz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 19 at 21:27
Hallo reabow - thank you for the detailed advice - not exactly want i wanted to hear but now i know what's waiting for me - i try the welding first, so keep your fingers crossed and thank you  - regards RF Stockle
Reiner Franz
 Post Reply Post Reply