The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > The Brickyard > The Brickie's Arms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

T5 -Broken down in Hungary ** HELP**

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveSt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: T5 -Broken down in Hungary ** HELP**
    Posted: 20 May 19 at 16:16
My daughter and her husband have broken down in Hungary about 1 hr from Vienna.
Sounds like they have thrown a con-rod/big end!
It's a rebuilt engine - the supplier/installer have agreed to 'fix' it but they need to get it - a T5 "Multivan" - back to Spain (Malaga) where the engine was supplied/fitted or as a second option to the UK.
They have been quoted for transport by their insurers (FAR too much)
+ looked for quotes online (possible).
BUT
I have suggested they look for a self-drive hire co in Austria/South Germany to move it themselves.
Anyone been in this situation and found a suitable Co?

LT31 1991 2.4 TD Florida Westphalia • Honda ST1100 • Ford Tourneo Connect
912 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 912 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 19 at 17:33
How much is far to much, on mileage that’s around 2000 miles round trip from Portsmouth so I would expect a £2000 minimum price, 3 day drive ferry, , etc perhaps as much as £3k , try Shipley, there may be someone who would do it cheaper
SteveSt View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveSt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 19 at 17:39
912 - thank you.
They have tried Shipley - who came up with a not-too-bad quote but as their insurers are demanding a co registered for VAT & the Co quoting thru Shipley are not VAT reg...
My thinking is there must be a Co in Austria/South Germany who can make the journey.
AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 19 at 18:55
Can you not get a used engine fitted and return the engine by loading it into the back or a small trailer.
Personally I always have breakdown cover to get me home.

LT28 1979 2.0 Pampas Nevada Camper LPG 93K, 1980 T3 A/C Camper 98K,1994 RRC 3.9 LPG 120k , 1998 Audi A6 Est 2.5 V6 diesel 127k

SteveSt View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveSt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 19 at 21:38
Andy T
Thank you - They do have breakdown cover. The engine that has failed was a recon, fitted in Spain.
The guys that supplied it + the guys that fitted have said they will honour the warranty. In fact the guys that supplied the unit have said they would ship a replacement to the UK (which is impressive).
I put my post up on the off chance that another Brick-yardie might have had to move a dead vehicle in similar circumstances across Europe.
AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 19 at 23:05
Guess I mean't recovery .

Edited by AndyT - 20 May 19 at 23:14
LT28 1979 2.0 Pampas Nevada Camper LPG 93K, 1980 T3 A/C Camper 98K,1994 RRC 3.9 LPG 120k , 1998 Audi A6 Est 2.5 V6 diesel 127k

SteveSt View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveSt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 19 at 23:13
At the moment the insurers are getting ridiculous quotes from their 'retained' recovery cos that exceed the level of cover/value of vehicle.
Insurers willing to reimburse for costs if they find their own recovery but the co Shipley came up with were NOT VAT registered so were not accepted by insurers.
My hope was to come up with an alternative suggestion based on what someone here had experienced.
Monster LT View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monster LT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 19 at 00:36
There are websites that haulage companies give quotes on. I'm not talking about shitly. When I checked to get an LT to UK from northern germany I was getting quotes of less than 1000, like 750. Was a few years back but they should be in business still. Keep looking. Sorry can't remember the name.
LT45-TD-ACL-intercooler-4x4-1993
Titus A Duxass View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Titus A Duxass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 19 at 06:43
Try here  - https://www.autotransport-zentrale.de/de/transport/create/

You can change the language.
Bollocks to it all!!
51°24′N 12°52′E
Monster LT View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monster LT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 19 at 10:06
LT45-TD-ACL-intercooler-4x4-1993
Serge View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Serge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 19 at 09:49
1990 LT28 Westfalia Florida 2.4TD + Reliant Scimitar GTC + Mk 4 Mondeo + Triumph Trident Sprint 900 + Honda 550/4
http://www.sergeantsmess.co.uk/
SteveSt View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveSt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 19 at 12:33
Serge
Bit late I know but thank you.
Their VW is currently somewhere between Hungary and the UK? Due back here next week. Next they have to get it back to Spain to get the engine - which was replaced out there last year - replaced by the guy who fitted it. Personally I think they should scrap it.
The guy who sold it to them had big windows
 Post Reply Post Reply