The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Coil Springs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Coil Springs
    Posted: 09 Apr 19 at 00:05
I know there is much interest in modifying T5 suspension, but this rough old skool guide is only intended as a basic understanding of the function of original, boring standard coil springs.

Coil springs are the things that decide the height of standard suspension, not shock absorbers, anti-roll bars or anything else.  

Springs can cause the suspension to sink over time as they tire and they also naturally rust but that doesn't necessarily mean they need replacing.  However they can fracture unnoticed usually at the top or bottom where the coils are bunched up.  The first thing you might know about this is if you have an MOT failure or a phone call when your van is being serviced.

If you want to check the springs yourself, jack up the van on one side at a time using a hydraulic jack under the dedicated jacking point on the sill panel.  Don't do this on on sloping or soft ground and don't even think about doing this without using good axle stands as a back up.

You'll need a decent modern bright light.  There should be be no fractures or parts of the tails (either top or bottom) of the spring missing.  Sometimes these will be hard to see and you will have to rely on feel or a mirror.  Don't worry about sections of lifted rusted paint on the spring but be prepared to peel these off to examine for fractures on the metal underneath.  From an MOT point of view no part of a spring can be missing of fractured.  

Much over 100k miles and the springs are likely to be a bit tired, however, if they are not broken and the suspension doesn't appear low, it’s up to you.  Bear in mind the van’s history and what weight you might be carrying in the future. 

You may hear banging/clicking noises over bumps if a spring is fractured but a broken spring can be symptomless.

On T5’s the rear springs are pretty easy to replace, it’s just a matter of undoing the lower shock absorber bolt and then jacking the body up so the suspension hangs down and then you can take out the expanded coil springs.  You may have to lever down the rear arms a bit to get them out.

The front springs are completely different.  You have to first remove the complete suspension leg and then compress the spring in order to do anything.  You cannot change the top mount, bearing or the spring itself without special tools.  A pair of basic spring clamps that will reasonably safely compress a spring on an old Ford Fiesta MK 3 are bonkers on a vehicle of this weight.  My advice is to speak nicely in advance to your local garage and ask them if you can bring in the removed suspension legs and pay them to fit your supplied new top mountings/bearings/springs.  This way you will have more chance of seeing (but not scaring!) your Grandchildren!  A local garage should charge you about an hour a side or perhaps a little less for two.

The new springs themselves are often paint marked with colours.  The marks usually denote differences in stiffness.  A spring that will physically fit your van might leave it looking like a jacked up 70’s funny-car in an extreme case.  Generally it’s best to stick to the identical paint colours to be completely safe.  Having said that, I took a risk with the rear springs on my van recently and bought two, as new, (slightly mud splashed) genuine VW T5 rear springs from a camper converter company at an amazing price but with different markings on ebay.  Do your own research. Wink  

Coil springs should always be changed in pairs for obvious reasons.

Edited by T5 TDI - 22 Apr 19 at 16:30
2004 2.5 174
Charlie Dog View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 19 at 15:13
If you want to check the springs yourself, jack up the van on one side at a time using a hydraulic jack under the dedicated jacking point on the sill panel.  Don't do this on on sloping or soft ground and don't even think about doing this without using good axle stands as a back up.

Please would you tell me where you put the axle stands?
Thanks.
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 19 at 15:58
If you are just interested in checking the coil springs, jack up one side at a time and put a single axle stand in the middle of the tubular section of the subframe.  

Edited by T5 TDI - 28 Sep 19 at 16:00
2004 2.5 174
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 19 at 17:51
Thank you for your prompt response  :o)

I wish to change shocks.
Front and rear.
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 19 at 19:41
Rears dead easy.  For the fronts, you might be better taking the suspension legs off and taking them into a local garage, the springs are strong enough to need a vice-mounted compressor to be safe.  Small car-type clamps aren't really up to it.  You might be able to hire a decent compressor but I don't think the cost will be much different.

You will need to take the wiper arms and the top panel off to get access to the top shocker nut.  If you have a few miles on the van for an extra £60 or so you can buy a kit of both top mountings and dust covers which are often knackered.  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Strut-Top-Mounts-Bearings-Bump-Stops-Covers-Kit-for-VW-T5-Camper-Van-Caravelle/400558445274?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649 ;

Edited by T5 TDI - 28 Sep 19 at 19:42
2004 2.5 174
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 19 at 20:11
I'm kinda still hoping you'll tell me where to put the axle stands ;o)

Thanks for the tip about taking the front suspension
to a garage to have the front springs changed
from old shocks to the new ones.

I found a set of of four shocks plus the parts you mention for 240 quid.

Is there anything I might need missing from that kit please?

T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 19 at 20:22

Well, I could do the obvious funny answer. LOL  But I'll do this instead..

Originally posted by T5 TDI T5 TDI wrote:

If you are just interested in checking the coil springs, jack up one side at a time and put a single axle stand in the middle of the tubular section of the subframe.  
 Wink

No, nothing missing, that kit looks fine. Smile

Edited by T5 TDI - 28 Sep 19 at 20:24
2004 2.5 174
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 19 at 20:40
Ooh, I feel a right prat :o)
However, I think I've twigged at last ;o)

The tubular section is good for changing the shocks
as well as for just checking the springs.

Thank you for your patience :o)
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 19 at 21:21
Hehheh no problem. Although for a moment I was tempted to really tell you where to put the stands! LOL  
Originally posted by Charlie Dog Charlie Dog wrote:

Ooh
The tubular section is good for changing the shocks
as well as for just checking the springs.

Yes, use an axle stand under each side of the subframe if you like.  I only suggested jacking up one side at a time to ensure that (on the rears) the spring would be 'open' for inspection (and removal).  It is probably safer to do one side at a time though.  You could use the second stand as a back up that way.

On the fronts, almost anywhere you can use the jack will open the spring anyway unless you are daft enough to try and jack up directly under the ball joint (not advised unless you absolutely know what you are doing).

Edited by T5 TDI - 29 Sep 19 at 22:05
2004 2.5 174
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 19 at 08:15
 Post Reply Post Reply