The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Manual to auto conversion- feasible?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote futurecut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Manual to auto conversion- feasible?
    Posted: 08 Apr 19 at 11:56
I'm in the unenviable position where having had an accident I'm stuck with paralysis for good. My lovely BNZ based fully loaded camper is useless to me unless I can make it auto. Even push button auto clutch systems are out as with hand controls it still needs a magical third hand. Having to sell would be about the last straw. 
It seems accepted wisdom is there are too many hurdles man-at.

Is it possible? Thanks

T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 19 at 18:53
Hi Futurecut, Sorry to hear about your accident Cry  I'm sure that a conversion is physically possible but the costs and problems would certainly outweigh the result.  Modern autos are to a large extent computer controlled and even not bound to a single ECU/controller.  Therefore it's not just the physical changeover of mechanical parts but a lot of different wiring and slave ECUs.

I know it's hard to face but the good news is that your van if it's as good as it sounds is probably worth more than you think.  It's time to move on because something really nice is out there with your name on it.. Smile 
2004 2.5 174
912 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 912 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 19 at 22:07
I would think a £2-3000 could get you converted after selling the bits you don’t need, contact Cali campers in new Milton Hampshire, they can supply and fit the parts 
futurecut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote futurecut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 19 at 22:18
Thanks folks good input. Fortunately in no huge rush but an asset there however we proceed.
 Post Reply Post Reply