The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Tech help
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Starter motor issues

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dennis1984 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Starter motor issues
    Posted: 07 Apr 19 at 11:02
Hi

My 1.6 diesel T3 has gone through three starter motors in 1.5 years now. I knew something was up last time as on starting the engine had a 'whine' or 'breathiness' that I recalled the last time it failed. I restarted the engine numerous times but the sound persisted and sure enough when I got home it had failed.

I don't have a trusted T3 mechanic locally  (maidenhead, berkshire) and the last two garages/mechanics have just replaced the starter and ignored my asking for then to investigate further.

Can anyone advise what might be going on or alternatively advise on any decent T3 mechanics in my area

Thanks in advance

Dennis
Timjburrows View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timjburrows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 19 at 13:53
we had a landrover with starter issues,they spent a lot of time changing starters and batteries each of which fixed it temporarily,went on for a couple of years,then they asked me what I thought,I got the jump leads bypassed the main cables and it started,looked at the earth strap and got ITS BEEN CLEANED but it had overheated over time and was corroded,new wire fitted,no more problems,hindsight is a wonderful thing.could be your wires?
 Post Reply Post Reply