The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT1 chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New member LT35 '82 motorhome

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paul_b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New member LT35 '82 motorhome
    Posted: 05 Apr 19 at 15:44
I've recently bought a LT35 motorhome, bit of a beast at over 7m long. Plan is to do it up over the next year and then take it round Europe for 9-12 months (Brexit permitting). With 2 little kids!

Missus is looking after sprucing up the interior and I'm looking after bodywork and mechanical, and I will be making full use of the tech forum as I am not mechanically gifted!

Current to do list:
Rust work on doors
Rust around windscreen
Engine service
Replacing rear seating (currently a wooden bench with loose cushions) with something capable of safely holding 2 children car seats
Fitting solar panels
Fitting awning

I'm sure the kist will get longer before it gets shorter.

In case anyone is interested the full model is Niesmann Bischoff Clou 670F. Unfortunately the avatar is not my picture (I wish!) But hopefully one day it'll look that good.

I tried putting a pin on the map but seems zeemap is no longer free. I'm based in Manchester.
VW LT35 1982 2.4D Niesmann Bischoff Clou 670F
Steptop View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steptop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 19 at 23:49
welcome Paul, 
I acquired my first LT just before Christmas. It's been fun to see how my own 'to-do list' has evolved since I started getting to grips with mine. My first LT but not my first vehicle project. Hopefully for you with yours being a coachbuilt you'll have less issues with body rust than some people have to deal with!
Lots of great info in this forum's threads. 
fallen in love with the LT, and I think it's going to be a long-term thing...
paul_b View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paul_b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 19 at 12:00
Thanks Steptop. As you say these lists evolve very quickly, just spotted some water damaged plywood on the floor that I've not pried up yet...

I spotted the coachbuilt forum but it's fairly quiet over there so getting most of my info from the LT one. I am grateful that the back is aluminium as I've already been spending a fair amount of time sanding down the rust just on the cab and found enough patches that will need welding as it is!

First purchase has been this acoustic blanket from Noisekiller - as on the drive home from purchasing the engine was a tad loud!
Had a chat with them and they said the medium should work for the LT1. Will update as to how effective it is.
AndyT View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 19 at 15:15
Welcome Paul, if you look in tech there are topics on welding & rust treatment etc.
I use different products depending on the situation, if it's gonna rain etc.
They all use phosphoric acid so always wear gloves. Easiest to use is also the most expensive.
LT28 1979 2.0 Pampas Nevada Camper LPG 93K, 1980 T3 A/C Camper 98K,1994 RRC 3.9 LPG 120k , 1998 Audi A6 Est 2.5 V6 diesel 127k

Tiggerandfish View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiggerandfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 19 at 16:38
Welcome Paul . I’ve had my LT for a few years and my to do list never seems to get any shorter 
We’ve certainly had some fun family holidays in her and I’ve had loads of support from this forum as I am sure you will too. 

Simon
Simon
1985 LT 28 2.4D
paul_b View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paul_b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 19 at 09:50
Cheers Andy. I've just read your post on the Restore products, looks interesting.
paul_b View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paul_b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 19 at 10:19
Thanks Tigger. Full of info on here, it's my new bed time reading :)
nooberdoober View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nooberdoober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 19 at 09:18
Welcome to the forum!  Interestingly for a 1982 LT, yours has Mk2 front lights on it. Early ones had round lights I thought. Might be newer or had an update?
I got me a 2.4 straight Six......and it's a soundin JUICY!

1984 LT40 2.4 petrol Coachbuilt Autotrail Motorhome
nooberdoober View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nooberdoober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 19 at 09:19
Id love to see some shots of the wagon inside and out?
I got me a 2.4 straight Six......and it's a soundin JUICY!

1984 LT40 2.4 petrol Coachbuilt Autotrail Motorhome
paul_b View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paul_b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 19 at 10:52
Hi Nooberdoober -  yes the photo is of a later model and isn't mine, it's just one I found when signing up. I've been trying to sort out some rust issues and have not uploaded any photos yet. I'll upload some this weekend.
VWDubCarl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VWDubCarl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 19 at 15:09
I recently purchased a LT35 that's in reasonable condition for it's age a few months back to restore for weekend fishing trips with my son. However last weekend a noticed some rusting around the footwell area. I've been trying to decide should I seek the services of a repair garage or try and fix myself. Searching online I've noticed this rust converter spray https://www.tiltrak.com/product/dinitrol-rc900-rust-converter/ has anyone used this type of product in the past? I am interested to know if they work and actually stop the rusting permanently
VW Dub Carl - Sclungehorpe
Tiggerandfish View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiggerandfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 19 at 21:01
Hi VWDubcarl

I had quite a bit of rust on my LT when we bought it 4 years ago and couldn’t afford to pay to have the welding and rust done.

There’s are lots of opinions on rust converters and their effectiveness or not. I’ve used Aquasteel ( 2 coats) on my LT followed by Rustoleum primer (2 coats) and Rustoleum top coat and found it to be very good. 

On areas where the rust is right through the metal I’ve chopped out the holes and made repair pieces and welded in place then used the same protection as above. I found welding quite daunting at first but you do get better and doing it yourself saves heaps of money for more weekends away 😀

Areas treated with Aquasteel have stood the test of 2 winters and so far no obvious rust return . 

Good luck with your new van

Van 

Simon
1985 LT 28 2.4D
 Post Reply Post Reply