The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

G201 Brake pressure sensor ....

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greggers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: G201 Brake pressure sensor ....
    Posted: 28 Mar 19 at 18:56

It's been a while since I looked in - good in some ways, bad in others.

I've got a 2005 T5 Caravelle, 174 AXE motor. Mostly been ok, apart from auto box failing (130k) , front struts going (75k), camshaft wearing out (140K), 4 blower motors being replaced, rear dampers, rear springs and endless episodes of Limp Home Mode

So the wife has been bitching about the exhaust fumes inside the van for weeks now, so I reluctantly booked it in for a new manifold to go on. I got one (with the flexi pipe for the turbo) from Just Kampers for a decent price and the Indy said he'd fit it... Halfway through the job the guy called to say that the turbo was 8/10 goosed and that he'd need to get it re-cored. 

So, at 165k I thought that it was just about ok to cough up the grand he wanted for his work and the turbo, and the £300 for the manifold ...   ok time to take it on the chin. 

Anyway, The wife picked the van up this morning and brought it home, and when I got home I jumped in to see how much better the new manifold / turbo combination was. Ignition on, engine on ... great ...  However, also on was the ESP light (anti-clockwise yellow arrow with warning triangle). Fuck.

Now, it wasn't on before and we've never had any problems with it - is is just coincidence that it's failed or could it be something this guy's done.  It was showing 'service due' on the dash when it went in, but he's cleared that cos it's not showing now and when I called him about the traction light he said something about the battery going flat but he couldn't remember if he'd had to jump start it .  Hmmm .

So, what's the hive's collective thought - has he farked it doing the manifold or do I need to lay out yet more cash?

Greg
Be gentle - I'm a lurker coming out ...
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 19 at 09:29
Welcome. Smile  Low battery voltage can cause problems.  Some of them temporary but some more serious.  I was away for two months recently and when I got back the battery was flat and as I turned the ignition on and before it even tried to turn over the airbag came on.  I charged the battery and it fine.

You need to get him to put it on the diagnostics and and clear the code if it will clear.  It might simply be a response to the low voltage.  The ABS pump controller can fail after a low voltage/jump start situations but there are usually other symptoms not just a single warning light.

The first thing to do is to check all the fuses including the ones beside the battery but don't take them out otherwise you may cause more codes to confuse matters.  Just make sure with a meter or test light and with the ignition on that any fuses that have current have it on both poles of each fuse.

Edit- If you have already checked and have a code for the G201 check the brake light switch because it can cause the G201 code.  I think the pressure switch itself is inside the ABS pump on T5's but I'm not certain.  You can get them repaired though but it's not that cheap.  So it's fuses first then brake pedal switch then get the pump tested.   

Edited by T5 TDI - 29 Mar 19 at 09:58
2004 2.5 174
Greggers View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greggers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 19 at 00:14
thanks T5..

I took I back to him today and he plugged it in but the code wouldn't clear, and the block test gave a weird pressure reading  - apparently - so it looks like the sensor's  farked.   Odddly the LH headlamp has blown too..  

I think I've been trousered...
Be gentle - I'm a lurker coming out ...
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 19 at 17:46
Check those fuses and the brake pedal switch first before you go any deeper.  

I think the ABS pump is waiting to fail on older vans and a low voltage situation seems to be the catalyst.  I should have taken my own advice and charged the battery although I did get away with it.

If you suspect a low battery (like if you have left something on or you have been away for more than 3 weeks) the best thing is to charge the battery and don't even switch the ignition on if it is low enough (as mine was) for the central locking not to work.  

I don't necessarily think you have been done by the garage, more by the poor design of Bosch ABS pumps!   
2004 2.5 174
 Post Reply Post Reply