The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T3 Section > T3 Tech help
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Head Gasket Replacement Burton On Trent Area

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gkoshra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Head Gasket Replacement Burton On Trent Area
    Posted: 13 Mar 19 at 13:37
Hello all,

After an arduous and overheated trip to Europe, my van is shagged. It overheated and boiled away some the coolant before I noticed because of a faulty temp gauge and knackered fan rad switch.

I _think_ it's the head gasket, as coolant gets blasted out of the expansion tank pretty much as soon as it's switched on, while the coolant is still cold. Does that sound like the head gasket?

Anyway, I can't do anything mechanical besides changing a wheel, so does anyone know of someone in the Burton On Trent area that would have a look? I'm in two minds whether to replace the engine completely. It's a 1.7 KY Diesel.

Thanks.

ob1 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

FOUND IT, IT WAS HIDING!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ob1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 19 at 22:25
Sounds like HG.  
Pretty simple to change on a 1.7 and much easier and cheaper  than an engine swap!
Well within a home mechanic skills and you can sort timing belt and aux belts etc whilst you at it?
gkoshra View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gkoshra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 19 at 23:23
Thanks for the vote of confidence! Do you know of any useful guides? Will I have to take the engine out?
ob1 View Drop Down
Yardie
Yardie

FOUND IT, IT WAS HIDING!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ob1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 19 at 18:25
No engine remains in place. You need to check the head for flatness as they do warp easily. You’re not meant to skim them but everyone does so long as it’s not too much. 

If you’re apprehensive then use the Bentley manual to suss it all out first. 

gkoshra View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gkoshra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 19 at 09:10
Thank you for the info. Very helpful ta.
 Post Reply Post Reply