The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > LT, Crafter & Sprinter Section > LT1 chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

lt28 leaking roof

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote e621 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: lt28 leaking roof
    Posted: 01 Mar 19 at 18:59
Hi guys, so i have this problem for quite a while now, my lt 28 is leaking through the sides of my extended roof(where fiber roof meets metal near the drains) i expect holes somewhere in the drain but iam not sure where. there is somekind of rubber inside the drain and its very old and cracked, would like to remove it but i dont know with what i should replace it.

I have been putting silicone,bitumen in the drain, and glue where fiberglass visualy unsticked, nothing helps, after some time everything unsticks.. is there some special materials i could use?
Steptop View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steptop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 19 at 23:22
Hi, sorry you're having trouble, one way or other it will be fixable though.

Can you please clarify the type of roof you have, and the nature of the drains you are referring to?

it sounds like you may have a fabric poptop/elevating roof, and there may be drain holes around this?

or do you just have a normal fibreglass hardtop, and the drainholes you speak of are just the small slots that are at intervals all around the van's original steel gutters? 

either way the fix will take a similar principle to fixing a shower in your house: make sure all drains are clear, remove all old dysfunctional sealer, repair any underlying rot, reseal in one smooth continuous bead with quality product (like Single cab pick upflex) making sure water can always fall directly to a drain.

if sealant has delaminated anywhere, water will seep under it and may find it easier to find a way into the van rather than to a drain, usually through rot. If too many layers of repair sealant have been added over the years and build up, water can ride over them and enter where it otherwise would'nt. Similarly this will also happen if any drainholes have been blocked by careless over-application of sealant.

If the problem has been going on a long time the gutter/roof where the hightop is joined may be rotten through somewhere. There are several examples where people have detached and lifted the roof a few inches up onto battens in order to inspect and treat rot issues in this area. Looks severe but isnt technically that difficult.  

fallen in love with the LT, and I think it's going to be a long-term thing...
LTCamper89 View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCamper89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 19 at 12:35
http://www.lt-forum.de/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=start:reparaturtips:regenrinne_sanieren

Although it is in German, using Chrome will give you a good translation.
The images tell the full story.
1989 LT28 2.4D    Saviour of 6Music, well one of them. Now playing http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/bbc_6music

VW LT Camper not Cramper

....at least the roof is not rusting away....
 Post Reply Post Reply