The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Horn and hazard light

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nutter20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Horn and hazard light
    Posted: 27 Feb 19 at 22:06
Hi I got vw t5 1.9 tdi horn goes off on its own and hazard lights no codes come up when plugged in help if you can this only happens now and then not all the time
gregozedobe View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 19 at 00:38
Intermittent short somewhere ?  I have  a vague recollection of some wire behind the dash rubbing and getting worn through on some bracket (sorry I can't be more specific, maybe a search will find where it was mentioned).
Nutter20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nutter20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 19 at 05:18
Ok thanks I will have another look
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 19 at 18:16
That particular chafed wire caused a non-start rather than your problem. One other good possibility is the J519 under the dash on the drivers side. They aren't cheap though! It should show a fault but not under the engine ECU. There is more about it in the list of 'how to do's'.
2004 2.5 174
Nutter20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nutter20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 19 at 19:04
Were is the wire that chafs as i will be looking at weekend thanks
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 19 at 20:51
I don't have the link at the moment but if it is the one I'm thinking of it won't be your problem anyway because it was a big red unswiched 12v supply cable that chafed through and shorted to earth coming close to a fire.
 When you said you had 'plugged it in' you need to look at every system the van has. If you can find someone local with VCDS diagnostics they can do a complete scan for you which might give you something to go on.
  The J519 unit I mentioned is known to cause problems and does have a part to play in both the horn and the hazard lights. I wouldn't change it without being sure unless you can get a cheap second hand one. It does need coding also.
2004 2.5 174
Nutter20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nutter20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 19 at 22:21
Thanks again when the horn and hazards when of i rang aa they plug it in and there was no cades
zedzedeleven View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zedzedeleven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 19 at 10:46
Have a look under the driver`s seat, pull the carpet back and find a wiring splice, check it for corrosion and poor crimping. This splice causes no end of electrical problems, all well documented, get some crimping connections and make it good. 
1.9 85ps swb 2004 in friesan green.

bring me sunshine.
Nutter20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nutter20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 19 at 16:02
Hi i have done this wire when i changed seat in van but the horn and hazards has only gone off twice in 12 months
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 19 at 01:36
Sounds like it might be related to an alarm.  Any chance your van has an aftermarket alarm fitted ?
Nutter20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nutter20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 19 at 10:25
No its standard alarm you would think if it was alarm it would go of more often
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 19 at 12:23
Alarm battery on the way out ?
Nutter20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nutter20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 19 at 13:56
Would that show up on scan
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 19 at 21:23
My money is still on the J519.  The alarm has separate siren under the fresh air intake grille outside on the drivers side and is a different sound from the horn.  The alarm siren is known to go off randomly if it fails but not usually in conjunction with the hazzards.  I agree that a wiring fault could cause your problems but I would investigate the J519 first.  Sometimes there are no codes (wherever you look) despite an obvious fault.

2004 2.5 174
Nutter20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nutter20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 19 at 14:31
Thanks for the link good reading i will get this checked out
 Post Reply Post Reply