The Brick-yard Homepage Brickwerks
Forum Home Forum Home > T5 Section > T5 Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Decent Mechanic in Swansea

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maddogs45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Decent Mechanic in Swansea
    Posted: 13 Feb 19 at 17:41
Hi, Does anyone know of a decent VW garage in Swansea? I have a 2007 2.5 T5 and I am having a nightmare with the engine. My local garage (Gower Motors) doesn't have the tools to do the injectors. I don't really want to use Sinclair's unless I win the lottery.
I either have an issue with my injectors, cam, turbo or all. I also need a new abs module. Why do we buy these things?
gregozedobe View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 19 at 22:01
Sorry, I can't help you with Swansea recommendations (I'm in Oz).

Aren't there places n the UK that refurbish VW ABS modules these days ?  IIRC some replace the troublesome sensor with one that is better and won't play up again.
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 19 at 22:08
I can't help with a recommendation. I hope you don't end up needing all of those things because they would probably add up to more than the van is worth. What symptoms do you have?

Re the ABS- Banwy in Welshpool (?) do the module separately
but it's not cheap. Make sure to get a full scan of the van yourself so you at least know what fault codes are present. (this needs to include every system the van has) The ABS module is a common one but so are any of the four (cheap) ABS sensors if your only fault is the ABS/ASR lights on.
2004 2.5 174
Maddogs45 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maddogs45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 19 at 23:29
Thanks guys. The only fault code the van has is rest left and sensor fault. We changed that and nothing. Also checked all the wiring and all works fine. With regards to the engine, it struggles to start from cold and blows white smoke when cold and smells rich, also does about 10mpg. The engine struggles to go over 3000 rpm. I have checked the turbo hoses and no leaks. It has new harnesses on both the glow plugs and injectors. It apparently had a new cam and 3 new injectors by the previous owner, but who knows. No signs of exhaust leak. I'm hoping it is the injector seals or timing
Maddogs45 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maddogs45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 19 at 23:37
Greg, there is a company i can use for the overhaul of the abs cbut the engine is my main concern. Hardly need abs at the moment lol. Just so you know, I have also replaced the egr, egr cooler , map and maf sensor and intercooler. The software says there are no other faults. I am determined to get this thing working properly as I have spent a fortune on it already and will never get my money back anyway.
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 19 at 05:40
Originally posted by Maddogs45 Maddogs45 wrote:

Thanks guys. The only fault code the van has is rest left and sensor fault. We changed that and nothing. Also checked all the wiring and all works fine. With regards to the engine, it struggles to start from cold and blows white smoke when cold and smells rich, also does about 10mpg. The engine struggles to go over 3000 rpm. I have checked the turbo hoses and no leaks. It has new harnesses on both the glow plugs and injectors. It apparently had a new cam and 3 new injectors by the previous owner, but who knows. No signs of exhaust leak. I'm hoping it is the injector seals or timing

Was it running right when you got it ?  If it wasn't I'd be suspicious of the cam and/or injectors.
Maddogs45 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maddogs45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 19 at 10:31
Hi Greg, it was fine on the test drive and for 5 miles after buying it, then it went into limp home mode. That seemed to be down to the glow plugs and egr problems. It was in summer too. This is the first time I have driven it since and it's a lot colder now. I have just booked it into another garage to see if they can help. I'll keep you posted. Thanks
Surfrider View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Surfrider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 19 at 12:26
Ok, not Swansea spannerers, can recommend Euro Performance from Llantrisant. Very good with German stuff.
I BOOKED MY TICKET TO HELL ALONG TIME AGO.
T5 TDI View Drop Down
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T5 TDI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 19 at 21:58
There are too many possibilities with your engine symptoms for armchair diagnosis (especially given the previous unclear work) However I would ask them to confirm no air loss after the turbo, the hoses can have quite big splits which are almost invisible until under pressure, no restrictions in either the intake or DPF and that the turbo isn't seizing and blocking the escape route for the exhaust gasses (it's weird but it happens) and can e checked without removing the turbo.

Re the ABS- The pump and/or controller can fail like yours but it's unusual for a failed pump to cause a single sensor code. Normally it's multiple sensor codes, no communication with the ABS or the famous wild dash problems.
Let us know how you get on.  :)

Edited by T5 TDI - 14 Feb 19 at 22:14
2004 2.5 174
Maddogs45 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maddogs45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 19 at 22:10
Thanks, they seem to be quite knowledgeable of these engines and at least they have the timing tools. I have had the hoses smoke tested before and all was good. I'm waiting for them to say the turbo has failed, but if it is that then at least I know I will then have a new one. Best case just injection timing. They are going to run online diagnostics as the delphi software my mate had showed number 5 injector had a correction factor 5 times higher than the other 4 and it was replaced just before I bought the van. I'll keep you informed
Maddogs45 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maddogs45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 19 at 15:41
Hi Guys, all of my injectors were removed and tested. turns out one of my injectors was different to the other 4.
The engine is going back together tomorrow with a refurbished replacement injector, all new seals and bolts etc and all should be good. I'll let you know as soon as I get it back
Maddogs45 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maddogs45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 19 at 22:10
Just an update, I got the van back today and all is good, pulls really well and starts straight away. They found 2 injector seals were pinched and 1 injector was from an axd engine. Mine is a bnz. One of the bolts from the rocker cover to the camshaft was also snapped. All the injectors were tested and the weird one swapped. All new seals and bolts and it works fine. Thanks for the help everyone.
Vanorak
Vanorak

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gregozedobe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 19 at 00:36
Excellent result.  Thumbs Up

I must admit that I'm slightly puzzled how it could have driven OK for the test drive & 5 miles after, then fallen in a heap with all those things wrong. 
Maddogs45 View Drop Down
Not Quite Newbie
Not Quite Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maddogs45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 19 at 07:45
You're not alone there. The engine management light is missing as well by the way
 Post Reply Post Reply